Cornerback suspended after arrest

Disappointments continue to befall the Mississippi State football program-on and off the field.
    Redshirt freshman Adron Chambers, 20, was arrested Wednesday night by University Police and charged with attempted sexual battery, the university said in a release.
    Chambers, a second-string cornerback from Pensacola, Fla., was immediately suspended from the team and the university, pending an on-campus hearing. After being incarcerated at the Oktibbeha County Jail, Chambers posted $1,000 bail Thursday morning.
    Mississippi State dean of students Mike White confirmed that Chambers’ arrest charge of attempted sexual battery, a felony, had been dropped to two misdemeanor charges: indecent exposure and simple assault.
    Asked why the initial charge was dropped, White said: “The court will always review the evidence at the bond hearing.”
    The on-campus hearing will be conducted in seven to 10 days, White said. If Chambers is convicted in the on-campus hearing, he could face anywhere from a year suspension to permanent expulsion from the university.
    Chambers’ court date is set for Oct. 31 on the misdemeanors, The Clarion-Ledger reported. Each charge carries a six-month sentence.
    University police and school officials would not reveal details about the incident until they further investigate, but the release said the assault occurred earlier Wednesday at a campus housing facility and stated the victim was a fellow student.
    White said there are no records in his office that would indicate Chambers had prior bad behavior.
    Vice president for student affairs Bill Kibler confirmed that two reports listed in Thursday’s daily police report were related to Chambers’ arrest.
    The police report states that at 1:52 p.m. a student reported being touched inappropriately while at Ruby Hall, and at 7:43 p.m. a student was arrested on attempted sexual battery at Shira Fieldhouse.
    Chambers, a general business administration major, participated in Wednesday’s football practice but left toward the end, said associate athletic director Mike Nemeth.
    The 5-foot-9, 189-pound Chambers has recorded seven tackles and an interception in the first five games of the season. His one pick came in overtime of State’s lone win over the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
    Recruited as a wide receiver, Chambers made the switch to defensive back early in 2006 spring drills. He was redshirted in 2005 after coming from Pensacola High School where he starred at quarterback, leading his team to an 11-2 record and a trip to the state semifinals.
    Rated the No. 49th prospect in the state of Florida by the Orlando Sentinel, Chambers passed for 1,820 yards and 17 touchdowns, completing 62 percent of his passes. He also rushed for 1,417 yards and 13 scores.
    Chambers was recruited by Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Troy, but he chose Mississippi State early in 2004.