BATTLE OF THE BULLDOGS

The Mississippi State Bulldogs will return to the road this weekend to take on the Southeastern Conference’s other Bulldogs, Georgia.
    This weekend will conclude a three-week homestand for the Georgia Bulldogs, who will be looking to overcome a two- game losing streak that erased any hope the team had for a National Championship.
    Defense on a roll
    The Bulldog defense also had a great game last Saturday. MSU has not held an opponent to only three points since the season opener of the 2000 season against Memphis.
    The defense also held the Jacksonville Gamecocks to just 52 rushing yards.
    State is 2-1 this season when the opponent rushes for less than 100 yards.
    Thornton running well
    Mississippi State has rushed for over 100 yards only twice this season, and both times have produced a win.
    Running back Brandon Thornton ran for 88 of the 125 rushing yards and scored two touchdowns in last week’s game.
    “He was the one that got us going last week,” said offensive lineman Brian Anderson. “He took a lot of game on his shoulders.”
    Georgia 15, MSU 5
    This is only the 21st meeting between the two schools. Georgia holds a 15-5 record over Mississippi State. The Bulldogs have lost to Georgia in each of their last eight meetings.
    “We just want to go out and continue to play with some momentum,” linebacker Quinton Culberson said. “We saw that Vanderbilt beat Georgia, and we know it is something that is possible.”
    Croom is not taking Georgia lightly. He believes Georgia is a good football team that is both sound on offense and defense despite last week’s loss to Vanderbilt.
    “I still think they are a strong, Georgia football team,” Croom said. “They have strong runners and a fast defense.”
    Freshman starting
    Georgia will be starting their freshman quarterback Matthew Stafford instead of senior quarterback Joe Tereshinski, who has been the starter in four of seven games this year. The coaches made this decision believing it gives them their best winning chances.
    “We’re not necessarily going to take out our frustrations on Mississippi State, but we are hoping it’s a game where we get going again in the right direction,” Georgia defensive back Tra Battle said. “A change of pace has to happen at some point.”
    Dawgs need help early
    State realizes how important it is to start the game with the lead. They will be looking for the end zone early in the game this week.
    State has won five games in a row when leading at halftime.Mississippi State is still seeking their first SEC win this season.
    The last time Mississippi State won a road game against an SEC opponent was in the 2000 season against Kentucky.