Sex columns are necessary

College newspapers have every right to run sex columns. But many student papers have come under fire for doing so.
    Recently, a sex column called “Pillow Talk” in the student newspaper at the University of Southern Mississippi has received much scrutiny. Other college papers have experienced similar controversy.
    We believe it’s important to have an open dialogue about sex. A majority of college students engage in sex, and some people still act as if condoms don’t exist.
    A sex column in a newspaper doesn’t have to be dirty. It doesn’t even have to advocate sex before marriage. It should serve the public, which are sexually active college students in this case.
    The Reflector is considering a sex column, but we want feedback from readers before we start one. Please write letters to the editor on whether we should start a sex column, or leave feedback on our Web site. Also, if you’re interested in becoming a sex columnist, tell us.
    Sex is too big of a subject to ignore.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor C.J. LeMaster, assistant news editor Nathan Gregory, entertainment editor Aaron Burdette, sports editor R.J. Morgan, online editor Sara McAdory, managing editor Ross Dellenger and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.