Bulldogs tip off season Saturday

Mississippi State tips off their 95th collegiate season with a three-game homestand on Saturday beginning with Nicholls State at 2 p.m.
    The Bulldogs continue their three-game homestand against Loyola Marymount and NCCA Tournament participant Winthrop on Nov. 13 and 14.
    The Mississippi State men’s basketball team finished preseason after knocking off NAIA members Auburn-Montgomery University (88-61) and Oklahoma City (71-64).
    During exhibition play, second team all-SEC selection players Charles Rhodes and Jamont Gordon led the scoring for the Bulldogs, combining for 68 points and 17 rebounds.
    Defensively Mississippi State held its opponents to 32.3 percent field-goal shooting.
    “We weren’t a patient offense and didn’t get the ball inside enough, fouled too much and we have a lot of things to correct,” MSU head coach Rick Stansbury said.
    The young Bulldogs enter the 2006-07 season with an 89-22 record against non-conference opponents under Stansbury.
    Mississippi State has won 62 of its last 69 regular-season contests against non-conference opponents and is 7-1 in home season openers during the Stansbury era.
    The Bulldogs hold an eight-year record of 94-22 at Humphrey Coliseum under Stansbury.