Iraq, economy dominate voter issues

As voters go to the polls today, a number of issues will be on their minds as they decide who should represent them in Congress.
    “It seems every poll has Iraq at the top of the list,” Stennis Institute for Government director Marty Wiseman said.
    People of both parties, especially Democrats, are beginning to question why we are still there, he said.
    The economy still poses a concern for many, but the reasons behind this do not center around the success level of the economy itself.
    “The stock market just broke the 12,000-mark. Gas prices are dropping,” Wiseman said. “[However,] income has actually fallen.”
    More jobs are being created, but most of these jobs fall in the lower-end category. Many companies are moving high-end jobs overseas.
    Almost 50 million people in this country do not have health insurance. Many of the concerns surrounding this mid-term election lie with the everyday working American, Wiseman said.
    Within the state, there are several battles for key seats in Congress, but change will not be a huge factor in the Mississippi mid-term elections, Wiseman said.
    “The Republicans have declined to put much money into Yvonne Brown’s [attempt] to unseat Bennie Thompson,” he said.
    State Republican Party chairman Jim Herring said the state party hopes Brown receives 40 percent of the vote, but they do not expect a win.
    To date, Brown is the only black Republican elected official in the state, and she is the only black female city mayor in the United States.
    “We’re not taking anything for granted, and we’re working hard to get the vote,” Herring said in a previous Reflector article.
    The main issue surrounding the election for the Democratic side is accountable government.
    Many people say they feel the Republican leadership has disappointed them, executive director of the Mississippi Democratic party Keeland Sanders said.
    “They have not been accountable to the people,” Sanders said in a previous article.
    For the southernmost counties in the state, Katrina-related issues may be a huge concern during their election, especially in voting for their congressional representative, Wiseman said.
    “Gene Taylor has gotten many accolades for his efforts with Katrina,” he added.
    In the Senate race, Trent Lott will not be unseated, but this is not a poor reflection of his opponent, Wiseman said.
    “Eric Fleming is a name you’re going to hear from further on down the road, but he does not have the muscle to take on Trent Lott,” Wiseman said.
    For sure the Republican party will take the Senate by a few seats, but the House may be different matter. Either way, the political controversies and partisan battles will be very entertaining, he said.
    “As a political observer, I cannot wait,” Wiseman said. “Leading up to 2008, there’s going to be a fight for every seat.”
    When a situation exists where one seat swing the majority, then no seat is taken for granted, he added.