Candidate seeks to expand position

Unopposed senior class president candidate Elisha J. Blades said she wants to add legitimacy to the position.
    “I know that since I’ve been here, the senior class president has not really accomplished anything,” she said. “I wanted to run for the specific reason that no one has ever done anything with this position, and I wanted to see some results from it.”
    Blades said she has been working with attorney general Seth Robbins to reform the responsibilities of senior class president in the constitution.
    “The office of senior class president should be legitimate, especially because it’s an elected position,” she said.
    The class president’s current responsibilities include overseeing a senior class project, implementing senior socials and career seminars and reminding seniors of graduation and preparations for graduation, according to the constitution.
    Blades has been involved in the SA since she enrolled at Mississippi State University.
    “I started out on Freshman Forum my freshman year, and I was also on the athletic support committee,” she said.
    Blades was selected as director of Freshman Forum her sophomore year and worked on several campaigns. Last year she served as SA President Jon David Cole’s campaign manager, and she is currently his chief of staff.