Shot putter Wilson makes habit of breaking records

Just three weeks after breaking the school shot put record, junior Nicola Wilson has done it again.
    Wilson posted a mark of 48-04 for the Lady Bulldogs, who closed out the Tyson Invitational Saturday.
    “We had a good day,” MSU head coach Al Schmidt said. “Zita (Magloire) ran a personal best in the 3,000. The distance medley relay did well. Everyone did a good job.”
    The senior Magloire set a personal best in the 3,000-meter run, finishing fourth with a time of nine minutes, 45.21 seconds. The time is the fourth-best in the event in State history.
    The distance medley relay squad finished third in 11:44.82, also the fourth-best mark in school history. Senior Jennifer McPherson led the team off and was followed by freshman Antrese Banks, sophomore Andrea Wahlin and junior Liz Grube.
    Banks also set a personal best in the 200-meter dash. She crossed the finish line at 26.06, while sophomore Annie Falor posted a time of 10:12.66 in the 3,000, her second-best time in the event this season.
    McPherson opened the competition for the Lady Bulldogs, running the indoor mile in a time of 4:49.69, good for fifth overall.
    “That was the best Jen has run in a year and a half,” Schmidt said. “She’ll be a contender for an SEC title in two weeks. Mina (Thorstenson) and Joy (Griffith) ran seasonal bests, as well. Gabrielle (Dillon) ran very well. It was worth coming over here. Our team is hanging in there with the top 25.”
    In what was a theme for the competition, Thorstenson, a junior, ran a personal-best 17:32.42 in the 5,000-meter run to finish fifth and post the fourth-best time in school history.
    Following a week off, MSU returns to action Feb. 24-26 at the Southeastern Conference Indoor Championships to be held at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on the campus of the University of Florida in Gainesville.