Secretarial candidate says SA should be more open

Unopposed secretary candidate Libbi Burns, a junior food and nutrition major, says she wants to make the Student Association more accessible to students.
    Burns said she has served on the SA Senate for two years, as a senator for the College of Agriculture her sophomore year, and as a commuter student senator this year.
    As a secretary, she said she hopes to build a better relationship between the SA and students.
    “Part of the secretary’s job is making sure the office is friendly and open,” she said.
    Burns said she learned a great deal about the proceedings of the cabinet while serving as senator, and she understands the requirements of her new position.
    “Before I even signed up to run, I talked to [the current secretary] about it … just to make sure it was something I wanted to do,” she said.
    The secretary must keep the minutes, take roll at meetings, type up bills correctly, ensure that meetings begin on time and keep everything organized. Burns wants to make sure the minutes are accessible to anyone who wishes to see them, she said.
    “I want to make sure if someone comes in the SA office for something, I know exactly where to find it,” she said.
    Burns is a member of College Republicans and the Chi Omega sorority, but she said her duties as secretary will be her foremost concern.
    “Being Greek is just another part of who I am,” Burns said. “It doesn’t control who I am.”
    This year, without a Greek presidential candidate, the gap between Greeks and non-Greeks can be bridged, she said.
    “Everyone will work well together with the variety of candidates we have,” Burns said.
    One exciting aspect of the upcoming year is the opportunity to work with the new university president, which is a privilege few SA officers have, she said.
    “He’ll come in and have a lot of new ideas,” Burns said.