Escape campus with road trips

It was about 8 p.m. on a Wednesday in May, right in the middle of exam week. I had an exam at 8 the next morning. Was I studying? Well, if you know me, you would know the answer to that question. I was actually with two other girls in an SUV headed toward Tuscaloosa, Ala. We were tired of studying. We were tired of the same old restaurants. We wanted doughnuts. Tuscaloosa had Olive Garden and Krispy Kreme, and that was enough enticement for us.
    Road trips have been an integral part of my college experience, from freshman year to the present. Don’t get me wrong-I love Starkville. But I think we would all agree that sometimes it can get a little mundane. Road trips are great for adding a little excitement back into your days.
    I suggest each of you take at least one road trip during your years at MSU. Starkville is not a far drive from many places that, although maybe not extremely exciting, offer some interesting and different options.
    If you are simply looking for a change of scenery, try Columbus or Tupelo. Each is less than an hour away, and offer different restaurant choices or shopping opportunities. Both of these are great places for one-day trips, just to have a little escape from Starkville for a while.
    An especially interesting place is Graceland Too in Holly Springs. This is a museum-type establishment that is completely dedicated to Elvis Presley. I have never been there, but it is certainly on my list of things to do before graduation. The stories are enough to pique one’s interest in seeing this place. The owner, who has something of an obsession with Elvis, keeps it open 24 hours, and I have heard the best time to go is after midnight.
    If you desire to escape the small-town environment for a while, there are nearby options for that as well. Birmingham and Memphis are both fairly close. For a weekend-long road trip, these are excellent options. The best way to approach this kind of trip is to get a group of people to go and stay at someone’s house and experience the city together. After all, friends are what make road trips worth taking.
    Of all the places I have been, I must say that Tuscaloosa may be my favorite road trip destination. I am not sure why; the desire most likely stems from freshman year. The first road trip I ever took was to Tuscaloosa for some Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Since then I have returned numerous times for various purposes. I suppose it is more of a tradition than anything else.
    Whatever one may be in the mood for, it can probably be found in T-town. If you are looking for a restaurant variety, Tuscaloosa offers some options, including Olive Garden and Cracker Barrel. Girls, there are several cute shops and a decent mall. Needless to say, the University of Alabama is also here. Of course, there is the glowing red “Hot Now” sign over the Krispy Kreme shop. On my next trip to Tuscaloosa, I plan to visit Dreamland Bar-B-Que because I’ve heard some enticing stories about those ribs.
    This is just a sampling of the places that I have been over the past few years. I know that there are probably many more exciting or worthwhile places to go.
    The best road trips are the most random ones. You may not leave until 9 or 10 p.m., and you may not get home until the next morning, but you will definitely say it was worth it afterward. Just remember to surround yourself with some great friends. They are what make the adventures memorable.