Lott, Wicker to speak at graduation

U.S. Senator Trent Lott and Rep. Roger Wicker are slated to speak at Mississippi State’s commencement ceremonies May 13. Wicker (R-Tupelo) will address students at the 9:30 a.m. ceremony, and Lott (R-Pascagoula) leads the next commencement at 2:30 p.m.
    Political science department head and professor David Breaux said the college tries to get a wide variety of speakers for graduates to enjoy every year.
    “We had the head of the Peavey group speak a couple of years ago,” Breaux said. “I think it’s significant to get political speakers to speak.”
    University relations director Maridith Geuder agrees.
    “We’ve been really fortunate to get folks that are leaders in business and government,” she said.
    With the 2008 presidential election nearing, politicians on the local, state and national level will begin stumping for their favorite candidates next year.
    Breaux said it’s also important for the speakers to know the commencement ceremony is not a place for getting on their political soapbox.
    “The one thing you have to guard against is getting too partisan in your speech,” Breaux said. “It’s not about blasting the other side of the aisle, whether Republican or Democrat.”
    Geuder said politicians tend to talk about more generic issues, especially topics that graduates can relate to.
    “We’ve had a lot of folks connected to politics, and they usually take the opportunity to talk about leadership skills that will help graduates succeed, and they will relate it to their own experiences also,” Geuder said.
    Lott, who lost his Pascagoula home and most of his possessions due to Hurricane Katrina, is also suing State Farm because the insurance provider refused to pay claims on his and other residents’ property. As such, much of his speech may be devoted to Katrina-related issues.
    “I would think he would take the opportunity to make some comments about Katrina, about the resiliency of the people on the Coast and about the federal government as far as rebuilding and everything,” Breaux said.
    A regular fixture on NBC’s “Meet The Press” and other national news programs, Lott has regained his political collateral since an alleged racist comment in late 2002 forced him to resign as Senate majority leader.
    Mechanical engineering major and future graduate Travis Puzz said he thinks the speakers should be more connected with the students’ careers.
    “They should have someone who’s rooted in whatever majors that are commencing,” Puzz said. “It should be geared toward that aspect of it rather than a politician.”
    Wicker, a prominent figure in Mississippi politics, has been a member of the U.S. Congress for more than 10 years. Though he may not have the name recognition Lott has, many are looking forward to hearing the representative speak.
    “I’ve never heard Roger Wicker speak before,” Breaux said. “He seems like someone who has some political ambition, maybe not someone who’s satisfied with being a House representative for the next twenty or thirty years.”
    Like newly-appointed MSU President Robert H. “Doc” Foglesong, Rep. Wicker served in the Air Force. His tenure lasted four years, and he achieved the rank of lieutenant colonel.
    Geuder said the speakers should provide ample contrast for the graduates as they continue their careers.
    “These are seasoned speakers. They’ve spoken to a lot of people,” she said. “They will be able to help relate these national issues to the graduates.”
    She also hinted at what Foglesong would speak about at his first commencement.
    “Leadership and public service are topics Dr. Foglesong will talk about,” Geuder said.