Bulldog pitchers equal deadly weapon

It’s got to be intimidating when a team takes a gander at the stat chart of an opposing pitcher and sees an ERA hovering around one, a win percentage of about .770, over three-fourths of games started being complete games and opponents’ batting averages hanging around .180.
    However, this year, MSU’s case is not only boasting one starting pitcher with such stats, but two who have combined to lead MSU to one of the best starts in program history.
    It’s hard to determine who’s the better pitcher, really, between Bulldog hurlers Stephanie Comeaux and Ragan Blake. Their stats are so evenly dominant that it’s hard to believe a team could really have two pitchers with such skill. It may seem unfair to opposition, even.
    All of the 30 Bulldog victories through Sunday have been credited to either Comeaux (14-4) or Blake (16-5), though reliever Sara Hickerson has had to step in on several occasions to take the reins.
    The Bulldog co-aces met for the first time last season, just before Blake’s freshman year. They are now good friends off the field, as well as partners on the field, constantly offering each other advice and tips and relying on each other for help and support.
    “We’re really close off the diamond,” said Blake, now a sophomore. “We’re closer than we were last year, because we have to stick together more as pitchers now.”
    Comeaux, who is now a junior, adds, “We pick each other up. We make sure if something happens to one of us the other is there to pick her up. We have to stick together. Pitchers are their own breed, sort of like kickers in football.”
    Comeaux and Blake are in constant communication with each other during games, though they rarely see action together in the same game. They offer tips, strengths and weaknesses on opposing batters, as well as what types of pitches the umpires are calling and not calling.
    “Everyone has their day,” Blake said. “If I’m not on, he’s going to put Comeaux in. If she’s not on, he’s going to put either Sara or me in. It’s just always nice knowing that Comeaux’s there. It’s hard for a pitcher to always be on.
    It’s hard for anyone to always be on. It’s always nice to know one of us usually isn’t having a bad day,” she added.
    MSU head coach Jay Miller realizes how fortunate he is to be able to have two dominant pitchers rather than one. He is pleased with the pitching thus far this season, crediting most of the Bulldogs’ success to Blake’s and Comeaux’s lights-out throwing.
    “Having two aces helps a lot,” Miller said. “We play a lot of doubleheaders in the conference, and it gives us someone to fall back on, whether it’s Stephanie or Ragan. As a pitcher, you’re not hot every day.”
    The term ‘dominant duo’ has been tossed around a lot when Comeaux and Blake are the subject of conversation or writing. However, the girls are content with the label, and think it’s a neat concept of being part of a pitching ‘tag team.'”
    “It makes me feel better knowing there’s another ‘dominant’ pitcher to fall back on,” Comeaux laughed. “If there’s something wrong with me, I know that she can then come in and kick their butts.”
    Blake is busy moving up several charts in MSU’s history books. The Sugar Land, Texas, native has pitched 18 complete games this season, tying her at fifth all-time on the season complete games list, with 1985 freshman pitcher Kim Davis.
    She has struck out 152 batters, sitting alone at third all-time on the season strikeouts list. She lacks only eight to tie 1999 ace Autumn Anderson at second. Anderson also chalked up 246 in 1998, as she currently holds the top two spots on the list.
    “[Blake] has probably made bigger strides from her freshman year to her sophomore year than any player I have ever coached,” Miller said.
    Comeaux has contributed great amounts to MSU’s nationally-noticed success. She currently has a 1.20 ERA, striking out 74 on the season.
    Her opposition has a .193 batting average against her, and while her personal season goal of pitching a perfect game hasn’t been fulfilled yet, she has tossed two no-hitters on the season.
    “[Ragan and Stephanie have] carried us,” Miller said. “Both of them have just come out from where they were last year and stepped up their game. They’ve given us opportunities to compete and opportunities to win. They’ve been a great factor for us.”
    Factor is, perhaps, an understatement.