Backup shines in scrimmage

Sophomore Bandon Hart is so hungry for a chance to prove himself at running back, he’s actually lost weight.
    Hart has lost about 25 pounds since last putting on the pads for the Maroon and White, citing a determination to become a more productive member of the Bulldog backfield and possibly even challenge the currently-injured Brandon Thornton for the starting job.
    With last season’s leading runner Jerious Norwood headed for professional pastures, the crown position in the Bulldog backfield is up for grabs, and Hart has aspirations of earning it.
    “It’s just a self-motivation thing,” Hart said. “I know I’ve got to get better, but when I do, I’m just going to try to be the best man (for the job).”
    Hart used his lighter frame to amass 57 yards on 14 carries in Saturday’s scrimmage at Scott Field and scored the team’s only rushing touchdown by bulldozing his way into the end zone on a fourth and goal from the four.
    After the game Croom said Hart obviously had the ability to be a successful runner but needed to “grow up” first.
    “(He) has some running skills, but he’s got to toughen up. I think he wants to put his name on the training room door,” Croom said.
    Hart trimmed down from a 250-pound fullback at the end of the 2005 campaign to a 228-pound running back with a bruising appetite for the goal line in less than four months.
    “When you’ve got a big explosive back with that kind of speed, it’s hard to tackle him,” MSU defensive end Titus Brown said. “He’s got a real low center of gravity.”
    Hart says the method to his personal weight-loss program was half extended exercise and half cutting down on meal portions.
    But while insisting that deciding how to lose the weight was his own plan, the impetus for the weight loss, Hart admits, was a firm recommendation from his coach.
    “At the end of (last) year, Coach told me how much he thought I should be about 230-235. I said ‘whatever you want.’ Now I’m at 228,” Hart laughed.
    After the game Hart said he liked being cast in the role of running back for the upcoming season, and said his weight-loss was going a long way in helping him become more productive.
    “When I was big, my back would be hurting right now,” Hart said after the scrimmage, “but I feel good. I have my wind longer.”
    Despite Hart’s success on Saturday, Croom was displeased in the offense’s overall offensive performance.
    “Whatever it is, it isn’t good,” Croom barked.
    The offensive attack, one of the worst in the SEC last season, mustered 284 yards total production against the Bulldogs’ defensive unit on Saturday, which again garnered the bulk of Croom’s laud.
    “The defense continues to do a great job of getting turnovers when the opportunity presents itself,” Croom said. “We’re running to the ball well, we’re tackling well; the only thing that disappointed me about the defense was that in some critical situations we weren’t able to stop the run.”
    The offense allowed the defense four sacks, three fumble recoveries, three deflected passes, one interception and 14 points on the scoreboard.
    Starting quarterback Mike Henig said the offense has some things to work on, but that the Bulldog defense is just that good.
    “At this point they’re better than us. We’ve just got to get to their level,” said Henig, who finished 12 of 18 for 100 yards.
    The offense continued to search for a playmaker to replace Norwood but with little success.
    “Those three freshmen (running backs)? They’ve got to be ready. They had better be in great shape, and they better be ready when they get here because we’re going to work them to death,” Croom said of State’s 2006 signing class running backs.
    “One of them could definitely be the number-two guy or the starter by the time that first game comes around,” he added.