Letter to the editor

MSU Faculty Senate
    The Faculty Senate congratulates you and welcomes you to Mississippi State University. You have been selected to lead Mississippi’s largest, most diverse and, we believe, finest institution of higher learning. The more than 1,000 faculty members support you as you begin your term, and we stand ready to work with you to continue the tradition of excellence at this university.
    As you take office, the faculty is acutely aware that this institution is at a crossroad. The state of Mississippi is confronted by a number of serious issues and problems that have adversely affected the level of resources needed to support higher education in the state and our institution specifically. Clearly you will have a daunting task of expanding, enhancing and continuing to develop this institution given the current economic and political realities. You will need to demonstrate strong leadership, creativity and vision. We understand that the success of our institution is inextricably linked to your success as president. And we wish to make it clear that we have a vested interest in your success and we will always be willing to work with you to attempt to ensure the best for our university.
    We do, however, hope you will always keep two things in mind as you go about your work. First, it is incumbent upon you to remember that this institution is about education first and foremost and that everyone benefits by having a strong system of higher education. As our state grapples with its many problems it is important to remember that education is part of the solution not one of the problems. Higher education promotes economic development and prosperity, reduces poverty, enhances health and well-being, fosters equality and tolerance and affirms justice. These benefits do not accrue only to those who graduate from our institutions; they extend to all Mississippians regardless if they ever stepped onto a college campus. Mississippi State University-The People’s University-should and must be at the forefront of a strong system of higher education and our president must not only be the leader of this institution but, needs to also be an ambassador for the importance and relevance of higher education to this state.
    Second, you will no doubt become very familiar with our university seal. Three words appear on this seal: learning, service, research. These three simple words represent different but integrated dimensions of the mission of our institution-education. Of all the groups and constituencies with which you will work and interact, there is only one whose primary role is to carry out these three important aspects of our institution’s mission. That group is the faculty of Mississippi State University. We are a group of individuals who have dedicated our professional lives to this purpose. We are honored to be faculty members at this university. And we take immense pride in our work.
    However, we have been concerned for sometime that individuals in leadership roles have lost sight of what the primary mission of our institution is and dismissed the vital connection between the mission and the role of the faculty. Many faculty members believe that their efforts are increasingly under-appreciated. This growing sentiment is perhaps responsible for many of our colleagues leaving this institution for others. For those who stay, it becomes a constant source of frustration. We are cognizant that the ability to provide tangible rewards and incentives to faculty at a public institution are subjected to a number of factors, many outside the control of the president. And we have little expectation for individual rewards during times of economic austerity. What we have found more troubling is that increasingly internal decisions are made which adversely affects faculty productivity and in many cases lowers the quality of education at this institution. We hope you will understand and agree that a university is only as strong as its faculty and the quality of education imparted is only as good as the quality of faculty.
    We ask that as you begin to set policy and select other administrators to assist you, that you carefully consider how your agenda will support the quality of work we are charged to do. We encourage you to work closely with the faculty in an open and direct manner. We hope you will never view us as adversaries but rather view us as partners who have as much to gain as you by making this university a premier institution of higher learning. By doing so you will gain the trust and respect of your faculty and the faculty will endeavor to increase its efforts to best serve this institution, its students and the citizens of this state. We look forward to meeting you and working with you. Again we welcome you and share your hope for a bright future for Mississippi State University.