Students Glory Phi God

Though it may be only a year old, Glory Phi God is an outlet available for students who are looking for campus ministry. Mississippi State University GPG campus minister Timothy Bourne said the organization’s mission is “to provide an alternative avenue for born-again men and women to affiliate with an organization that represents the doctrine of Christianity and promotes spiritual and educational excellence.”
    Through a variety of activities such as Bible studies, athletic events and educational forums, GPG is, according to Bourne, Oassisting born- again believers to develop their personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
    “We’re training, equipping and preparing students to do the work of God. We’re preparing and assisting students to make the transition from student to working adult. We’re winning MSU for Jesus Christ.”
    GPG is a national organization formed in 1996 by Bishop Keith Butler, senior pastor of the Word of Faith International Christian Center of South Field, Mich.
    Dr. Orlando Burt, pastor of the Word of Faith Christian Center of Hattiesburg, formed the MSU chapter on Sept. 5, 2000.
    “We’re a balanced campus ministry,” Bourne said. “Not only do we feed the spirit, but we also feed the physical man.”
    One of the group’s main events is its weekly Bible study every Tuesday in Dorman Hall Room 128 from 7-8 p.m.
    According to Bourne, this is a time for teaching scripture, praise and worship.
    GPG is currently working on a service project to adopt a county elementary school and provide money for textbooks, various school supplies and reading materials. The organization also plans to buy toys for several students for Christmas.
    The pending adopt-a-classroom project is just one of GPG’s service endeavors. The organization is also planning to adopt families during Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    GPG helps students in the transition to working adults, holding various seminars on composing resumes, budgeting and dining etiquette for graduating seniors.
    The organization is involved in sports, including intramurals and MSU football games.
    “We are die-hard MSU fans!” Bourne said.
    Many GPG members will attend “Winter Jam,” the statewide annual conference that takes place Friday, Nov. 30 at the MSU Wise Center. The main speaker for the conference is Burt.
    Other Mississippi chapters, including Jackson State University and Tougaloo College, will attend the event. Students and anyone from the community are welcome to attend any GPG events, Bourne said.