‘Desdemona’ performed

MSU theater performs Pulitzer Prize-winner Paula Vogel’s play “Desdemona” with special guest director R.B. Hill beginning Sept. 27 in McComas Hall lab theater. “Vogel remains one of the smartest, most original and engaging playwrights to come along in the last few years,” New York’s Newsday said.
    Desdemona, the main character, tells the story of Othello from the women’s point of view. Women have long played the sheltered roles in classic plays, but “Desdemona” shows the dialogue of the women behind the men’s back.
    “‘Desdemona’ explores the question, ‘what if Desdemona was not as pure a person as Othello thought,'” costume designer Sue Hinton said.
    Due to adult themes and language, Hinton warns that the play may not be suitable for children.
    “A lot of times when people hear the disclaimer, not suitable for children, they think it means it is x-rated, and this play is not,” Hinton said.
    Through the course of the play, Desdemona tells her friends of wild tails of having sex with Othello’s entire encampment of men. Desdemona finds herself envying her friend Bianca’s free lifestyle. At the same time, Bianca, a majestic whore in Cyprus, envies Desdemona’s stable lifestyle with a husband.
    After a recent retirement from the University of Southern Mississippi’s Department of Theatre, guest director R.B. Hill produces this MSU event with 30 years of experience to draw from.
    Since Hill joined USM’s theatre department in 1970, he has served as coordinator of the Mannoni Performing Arts Center and technical director for the theatre and dance department.
    Two of Hill’s productions were selected to represent the Southeast Region at the Kennedy Center-American College Theater Festival held in Washington, D.C.
    MSU’s production of ‘Desdemona’ stars Cristina Kinney as Desdemona, Rachel Farmer as Emilia, Desdemona’s servant, and Deanna Dye as Bianca.
    Others assisting in the production of “Desdemona” are: assistant to the director, Matthew Weeb, stage manager, Gabe Smith, costume designer, Sue Hinton and set and light designer, Wayne Durst.
    The play runs through Sept. 30. General admission is $10 with $5 discounts for students, faculty and staff.
    Seating in the lab theater is limited to about 85 people, so reservations are preferred. For more information or to make reservations contact Sue Hinton at 325-7951 or [email protected].