Mississippi State Fair comes to Jackson early October

For the past 142 years, the Mississippi State Fair has entertained, excited and mesmerized crowds with its mile-long midway with spectacular rides, food and free entertainment. Every year the fair has close to 600,000 in attendance with 12 days of back-to-back events Oct. 3-14 at the Fairgrounds Complex in Jackson.
    “On behalf of the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce, I would like to welcome everyone to the 142nd annual Mississippi State Fair,” Mississippi Commissioner Lester Spell, chairman of the Mississippi Fair Commission, said. “There are many things to do and see and, of course, plenty of food-so take your time and make the most of this family festival.”
    Opening day at the fair begins at 5 p.m. with a discount admission of $3 and unlimited rides for $15. On regular days, admission is $4 for adults, and children under 6 are admitted free. On any week day, admission is free from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. There are also packages for large groups. For $21, a busload of fairgoers can be admitted. On Friday nights, the “Ride-A-Thon” offers unlimited rides from 11 p.m. until 2 a.m. for $15, but regular fair admission is required.
    Senior’s America Day is Wednesday, Oct. 10, which includes free admission to those 55 years and older. The fair also includes a Kids’ Day on Friday, Oct. 12, with free fair admission for children and students through grade 12. During this time, all rides are discounted from noon until 6 p.m.
    Clowns will provide free face painting for children every day at the fair.
    “We want to encourage everybody to come out and have a good time and enjoy themselves,” Fair Director Wayne Smith said. “This is the premier event in the state of Mississippi.”
    Smith also said that audiences should be sure not to miss the nightly shows starting at 8 p.m. in the Budweiser Pavilion.
    The performances include: 38 Special on Oct. 3, John Anderson on Oct. 4, Molly Hatchet on Oct. 5, Paul Revere & The Raiders on Oct. 8, Ronnie Milsay on Oct. 9, Morris Day & the Times on Oct. 10, Rock & Roll Army on Oct. 11 and Bobby Blu Band on Oct. 12.
    The fairgrounds will have vast amounts of entertainment, including circus acts, square dancing, clogging, pig racing, the White Lily Biscuit-making booth and cane mill, the Horse and Mule Pull, rodeos, cattle, swine, sheep and goat shows.
    The fairgrounds will also have the Future Farmers of America parade of animals, 4-H youth exhibits, vocational exhibits and the Children’s Barnyard and Petting Zoo.
    A favorite of the fair is the Fiddlers and Liars Contest, toe-tapping music and tall tales, which will be held Oct. 13 at 9:30 a.m. The last day of the fair brings the Last Blast-the final chance to ride all the rides for $15 from 4-10 p.m.