Landscape program grows by leaps, bounds

In the minds of many biblical purists, the Garden of Eden can never be recreated by mortal men. But that doesn’t stop a few Bulldogs from trying. For nearly 40 years, the landscape architecture department at Mississippi State University has been turning mere dirt flats into botanical tapestries. Landscape architecture began in 1964 as a four-year degree program in the horticulture department. The program grew so much, it became its own department in the early 1970s.
    Cameron Man has served as the head of the landscape architecture department since 1989. In his tenure at MSU, he has seen the department broaden its capabilities.
    “We offer two different bachelor’s degrees, as well as a master’s degree we started last year,” Man said. “Our primary objective is to prepare students so that they may obtain their licensure in landscape architecture.”
    For students in the department, landscape architecture offers an assortment of possibilities.
    “I got into it because of my love for plants,” senior Henry Davis said. “Everyone in the program either loves plants or loves to draw, and I love plants.”
    Davis’ love for plants, as well as his eventual degree, makes him eligible for naturalistic job fields such as residential landscapes, nurseries and recreation of wetlands.
    While landscape architecture students may vary in their assets, they all enjoy being outside.
    “It’s nice to be able to work in an outdoor environment,” junior Brandi Irwin said.
    “I don’t want to sit in an office all day,” senior Rod McMinn said. “I like to go outside and use my imagination. I like to see my designs implemented into the environment.”
    For junior Zachary Walker, landscape architecture tends to his spontaneity.
    “It’s something I’ve always enjoyed doing,” Walker said. “I’m not doing the same thing every day.”
    The department is planning a trip to Ohio where they will compete with other universities from around the country, showcasing their designs. Montgomery Hall has been the home to the department since 1978, but rapid advancements and expanding resources have made the building obsolete. Construction is underway for a new state-of-the-art facility on Stone Blvd., tentatively scheduled to open during the fall semester of 2002.