How much is that doggy in the window

Looking for a new pet–maybe a golden retriever, a black lab or a tabby cat? Members of the Starkville community don’t need to look too far, because the Lee Horton Starkville City Shelter has many animals available for adoption.The city shelter is managed and controlled by the Oktibbeha County Humane Society with the purpose of “having better living conditions for domestic animals,” according to assistant professor of political science and OCHS President Diane Wall.
    The OCHS, with no official affiliation to the nationwide Humane Society, has similar goals to not only better the lives of domestic animals but to also educate and promote safety and better living conditions.
    “We inform people of the proper ways to take care of domestic animals,” Wall said.
    The OCHS is sponsoring educational programs dealing with animals. Thursday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m., the organization is sponsoring a discussion of nutrition for dogs and cats led by Jane Yeatman at Trinity Presbyterian Church on Hospital Road.
    With approximately 200 members, the OCHS has numerous constituents who are also interested in the welfare of domestic animals.
    October is National Humane Society Month with the focus of reminding Americans that there are thousands of animals with needs. Wall said the month “reminds people that we do have a need to have existing animals given homes.”
    Various breeds, from muts to pedigrees, are currently available for adoption at the local shelter. Adoptions cost $60 if the animal is not yet neutered or spayed and $30 if the procedure has already been done.
    An added bonus to adopting a dog from the local shelter is a discount on puppy obedience training classes at the Golden Triangle Kennel Club for only $25. Dogs will learn socialization and basic commands.
    According to Wall, there is a need for animal shelters in Mississippi–Clay and Webster counties do not currently have facilities.
    The Lee Horton Starkville City Shelter is currently in the process of being relocated to a new site and is accepting donations from the public.
    The center is being moved to have the capability for surgery.
    Spaying and neutering is an animal care policy in Starkville, and having the capability in a new facility will relieve a burden. The relocation project is spearheaded by fundraising chairman Peggy Sherrill, wife of MSU football coach Jackie Sherrill.
    Volunteers are always needed at the Lee Horton Starkville City Shelter to pet the kittens and walk the dogs.
    “It helps with their mental health,” Wall said. “They are more accustomed to humans.”
    Wall urges volunteers to call 339-9093 in order to set up an appointment.