Citizens, pets to “Walk and Wag’ Sunday at Sports Plex

Anyone who has been on North Washington Street off U.S. Highway 82 may have visited the Oktibbeha County Humane Society Animal Shelter.You may have walked in to find a small two-room building with numerous cages full of pets, unwanted but irresistible with just one look.
    However, these adorable animals have been cared for in very cramped conditions for years.
    The OCHS is constructed of volunteers who care for abused, neglected and unwanted animals at the shelter, while also acquiring food and medical care for the four-legged felines and canines.
    The society also encourages spaying and neutering pets to eliminate the number of unwanted animals.
    The condition of the current facilities and the undying volunteer devotion to animal care, led the Wellness Connection to raise funds for a new animal care facility.
    For the third consecutive year, the Wellness Connection will host the Walk and Wag, a mile-long walk for owners and their favorite pets. The walk begins 10 a.m. Saturday at at the Starkville Sports Plex and is for all animal lovers who wish to support the care of the community’s animal kingdom.
    The entry fee is $12, and pre-registration is required through the Wellness Connection. Donations are also appreciated from those who cannot participate in the walk.
    All dogs will be required to wear a leash under 6 feet long. Female dogs in heat may not participate at all.
    “The Wellness Walk and Wag should be a fun, healthy event shared with our best friends, while raising money for construction of the much needed new animal shelter,” Oktibbeha County Hospital Director of Wellness Cindy Orrick said.
    The Walk and Wag also includes fun contests pets can enter to win a ribbon and treat. Some categories include largest/smallest ears, sweetest eyes, loudest bark, biggest feet and owner look alike.
    “We are so excited about this event. It gets bigger and better every year,” said Roger King, OCH and Walk and Wag Committee Member.
    According to Mel Thurlow, publicity marketer for OCHS, any animal is welcome, as long as it is on a leash. “This event is just a fun thing we do to get folks involved.”
    Judges of the pet contests will be community representatives and sponsors of the walk.
    For the past two years, this event has raised much-needed money for the animal shelter.
    This year, all the proceeds will go to the construction of the new animal care facility.
    The city of Starkville has donated land at the Industrial Park, and it has been cleared and prepared for construction.
    An architect has already been hired, and the design has been selected.
    Building is scheduled to begin in 2002. Besides the Walk and Wag, the Ford Vision Clinic will also help raise funds for the new animal care facility.
    From 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Nov. 17, Reagan Ford, local veterinarian, will have regular office hours and donate the proceeds to the building of the animal shelter.
    To make an appointment, call 323-3987.
    The Wellness Center would like to encourage everyone to support the fund raising for Starkville’s new animal care facility for the future homes of the community’s pets. To register for the walk, call 323-WELL.