Miller carries Bulldogs’ load

Dicenzo Miller is lucky-he is a part of the one of the winningest senior classes in Mississippi State football history. Not only is Miller a part of that class, he is an integral part, playing in 36 games and starting in 15 as tailback for the Bulldogs. Not only is he lucky, Miller is also good. This Eupora native made a name for himself in high school, racking up almost every award and honor in his career at Weir High School. Miller was honorable mention All-American and was named the Mississippi Player of the Year by USA Today. Miller was also rated No. 3 on the Collegiate Football Experts rating of the best five athletes in the Southeast. The Clarion-Ledger named him the Player of the Year in the state of Mississippi and listed him as one of the “Dandy Dozen.” He was also selected to the Mississippi/Alabama High School All-Star game following his senior season at WHS.
    Dicenzo Miller was not only a standout in high school. After four years at Mississippi State, Miller has etched himself into the Bulldog record books. With five games left on the schedule, Miller ranks 11th all-time among MSU’s leading rushers. With his 15 carry, 50-yard performance against LSU, Miller passed Hank Phillips (1985-1988) for 11th on that list. He trails Tom McWilliams (1944, 1946-’48) by 55 yards for 10th on the all time rushing list. Miller is only two touchdowns and 151 all-purpose yards from breaking into the top ten in rushing touchdowns and all-purpose yardage lists, respectively. On top of all that, Miller is an All-America candidate, a preseason consensus first team All-SEC, and a candidate for the Doak Walker award given to the best running back in the country.
    Beyond the entire yardage and the touchdowns, there is a leader inside of Dicenzo Miller.
    When fullback Justin Griffith went down in the Troy State game with a neck injury, Miller looked for a way to honor his friend in the upcoming week.
    “I talked to coach Sherrill and Justin (Griffith) about it during the week, and they both smiled and thought it was a good idea,” Miller explained.
    Miller was talking about wearing Griffith’s number, 31, for the LSU game instead of his traditional No. 12.
    “Justin was there for me when I had my surgery, so I thought this was a good idea,” Miller later said.
    Even after a 1-5 start, Miller isn’t giving up just yet.
    “It’s just not happening for us right now. Teams are just making more plays than we are, but we never give up,” Miller said.
    Hampered by injury most of this 2001 season, Miller has missed two games this season due to a nagging ankle injury. Miller also had successful shoulder surgery this past January to correct an injury sustained during the 2000 season. That surgery forced Miller to sit out much of spring drills for the 2001 season.
    Miller has only rushed for 227 yards and one touchdown this season, as compared to a record-setting 1,032 yards and 10 scores in the 2000 campaign. Miller still has five games remaining on the schedule to not only try to move himself up in the record books, but to notch a win or two to close out his senior season here at Mississippi State.
    Miller will play three of his final five games in the friendly confines of Davis Wade Stadium, starting with SEC East rival Kentucky on Nov. 3, Ole Miss on Thanksgiving and ending with the make-up game against the No. 10 BYU Cougars on Dec.1.