University may lose top official

An article by Andy Kanengiser printed in The Clarion-Ledger on Oct. 25 addressed what has been on the minds of members of the Mississippi State University community. The article, “Some fear Portera may leave,” dealt with speculation that MSU President Malcolm Portera may elect not to renew his contract with the Institutions of Higher Learning board and announce his candidacy for chancellor of the University of Alabama. The speculation, fueled by Kanengiser’s article, will intensify in the months to come. The speculation reached a higher level after the announcement that current UA Chancellor Tom Meredith will likely leave in order to accept a $330,000 per year position as chair of Georgia’s University System. While it pains me to think that Portera may leave MSU, I am inclined to look at the facts.
    Portera, before becoming president of Mississippi State University, was a top administrator at UA and ran an economic development company.
    Portera definitely left a mark on both UA and the state of Alabama. According to Kanengiser’s article, almost all of Portera’s administrative experience, before coming to MSU, occurred at the University of Alabama.
    Portera was also instrumental in attracting the Mercedes plant to Tuscaloosa County, which greatly improved Alabama’s employment rates and economy.
    Everyone knows Portera will be a benefit to both UA and Alabama. That is not in question. What is in question is whether or not ole Mac will leave his beloved alma mater, MSU.
    Upon assuming the presidency of Mississippi State University, Portera hinted that his stay would be brief. Many said MSU would only be a stepping stone on his road to success. Regardless of Portera’s intentions for taking the position, the results of his administration are obvious. Mississippi State University is a better place than it was before he came. There are no questions about that. There are, however, questions as to what shape our university will be in if he leaves.
    Our state is in a dire situation when it comes to higher education. Our faculty members are underpaid, and, currently, two of our eight public universities are searching for presidents. MSU may be the next university in our state in search of a leader.
    Members of the MSU community are claiming that possible salary increases may keep Portera in Starkville. I disagree. MSU is a great place, and it is obvious that Portera is happy here. He loves this place. Whether it’s picking up trash or speaking to students, Portera’s maroon and white loyalty is clear. I doubt money will greatly affect Portera’s decision to remain at MSU. The bottom line will probably be whether Portera can see Mississippi State University advancing at the rate he would like to see it advance.
    Portera is a dreamer and sees the big picture. He realizes the potential that MSU has and strives to see that potential made a reality. Portera is a progressive leader at an unprogressive time in our state.
    A lagging economy with no improvements in sight must be discouraging. Our state’s economic picture definitely limits the amount of progress our university can make, and surely Portera realizes that. If the situation is much better at UA, I am sure Portera will heavily consider the change.
    As a student body, we must let our feelings toward Portera be known. We must show our appreciation and support his efforts to improve our university. Our faculty should come out now and support his attempts to push our university to new heights of greatness. I know that not everything Portera has done merits praise. I have been one of his most vocal student critics, but the bottom line is that Portera is the best president in the state at the best university in the state. Without Portera, MSU will still be great, but whether it will remain the best is doubtful. Portera is the captain of our ship, and he has done an excellent job of leading us into the 21st century.