Bangladeshi students recall attacks on America

The Bangladesh Student Association serves as a resource to students of Bangladeshi origin and their families. As a small, close-knit group of 12 to 13 members, the BSA’s purpose, according to the president, Mohammad Khan, is to facilitate the transition of becoming students at Mississippi State University. Serving as the liaison between incoming Bangladeshi students and MSU, the BSA supports students with information about MSU, funding a college education, housing information for the Starkville area and campus job opportunities.
    “When you go somewhere new, you want to know what you’re getting into,” Khan said.
    Meeting at least once a month, the organization discusses various business and their plans. According to Khan, the meetings are extremely informal and generally take place over a dinner. There are various reasons why students come to MSU from Bangladesh, Khan said.
    First, there is some curriculum not taught in Bangladesh that is available here at MSU. Secondly, some students come to MSU to receive doctorates.
    For example, a few Bangladeshi engineering students have come to MSU looking for doctorate degrees because of MSU’s experience in graduate studies. According to Khan, most Bangladeshi students would attend the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology for doctorates; however, the school’s program is recently formed. Finally, a number of Bangladeshi students also attend MSU to be with family.
    The BSA participates every year in the International Fiesta that takes place on the Drill Field in the spring. Food and trinkets are sold to allow MSU students and faculty the opportunity to learn about different cultures and culinary delicacies. The organization also joins together twice a year for Eid Days. According to Khan, this parallels Christmas. The exact dates vary from year to year, depending on the Arabic calendar.
    In response to the Sept. 11 attacks on New York City, Washington and Pennsylvania, the organization looked down upon the actions of the alleged terrorist leader and organizer Osama bin Laden.
    “The Bangladesh government and the opposition-the mass people-all condemn all sorts of terrorism. We have to condemn what happened in the United States,” Khan said. “Look at our people. We believe in non-violence.”
    According to Khan, approximately 70 people of Bangladesh origin were victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. “We’re feeling as much like victims as America is,” said Khan. “We lost people too.