Bully Revealed

Most fans watch Mississippi State University’s mascot, Bully, from afar at sporting events. He dances in the end zone after MSU scores at football games, and he cheers the crowd on at basketball games. Kendrick Vivians, Cooper Leggett, Lane Etheridge and Tom Huck, however, do not get to watch Bully entertain because at least one of them wears the 25-pound costume to most sporting events.
    Vivians said the Bully costume changes hands several times during the games, but he did not want to give details about how often Bully changed.
    From football games–including all of the home and away events–to male and female basketball games to pep rallies, volleyball, soccer, softball and baseball games, Bully has a full plate of events to attend.
    Vivians referred to the experience as beneficial and rewarding.
    “It’s great being at the sidelines at football and basketball games with the energy that you share between you and the crowd,” Vivians said. “When you walk out, the crowd starts to cheer, and your blood starts flowing. It’s amazing how people react to Bully.”
    Spontaneity and having a wild side are important qualities of the mascot, according to Vivians. Bully must do things on the fly and create excitement among the crowd.
    A large amount of spare time is also important to mascots. With the numerous events where Bully appears, time is precious to Vivians, Leggett, Etheridge and Huck.
    Athleticism is also crucial to Bully so he can do push-ups with the Army ROTC and punch the uprights at home football games without missing a beat.
    All four students who play Bully work out together twice a week at the Sanderson Center.
    During each workout, the students do pushups, sit-ups, light-weight lifting and run a mile and a half to stay fit.
    The conditioning, however, is unrelated to the mascot suit, according to Vivians.
    “The suit is a big thing of fur. It’s really not a bother, except at the Troy State game,” Vivians said. “When it gets wet, its gets heavy. The suit was OK in the light drizzle. When we got the ball, the rain came down hard. I stayed dry for the most part.”
    Vivians, Leggett, Etheridge and Huck have the opportunity to choose Bully’s outfit for the various sporting events. The guys are allowed to choose anything from football uniforms to camouflage to tuxedos.
    “They trust us to have creative minds to find something to catch the eyes of the fans,” said Vivians, who prefers the football uniform. He said, “It keeps the Bully suit intact. There is not much adjusting.”
    Vivians said anyone who wants to be Bully has to try out for the position under the direction of the MSU cheerleader sponsor.
    “We have to make up a skit and perform it in costume,” Vivians said. “I did a dance with James Brown songs and OWho Let the Dogs Out.'”
    Despite the athletic feats and the wild skits for pep rallies, Vivians said there is nothing better than the contact with the Mississippi State crowd at sporting events. It’s what makes being Bully a rewarding opportunity–not just for him, but for the fans.