Basketball season begins

The Mississippi State University men’s basketball team will open regular season play Saturday night against Southland Conference member Nicholls State. The Colonels, who hail from Thibodaux, La., open a tough non-conference schedule against the Bulldogs. Some other noteworthy opponents for the Colonels include 1990 national champions University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 2000 national champions Michigan State and in-state rival Louisiana State University. This is just the second meeting ever between the Bulldogs and the Colonels, the last being in 1995 when State pulled out a 16-point victory.
    The Colonels are led by 6-foot-4-inch guard Earnest Porter, who averaged 8.3 points a contest last season. Porter is the leading remaining scorer from last season’s team and should be the primary scorer for the 2001-02 edition of the Nicholls State basketball team. Nicholls State finished last season with a 14-11 record and did not reach postseason play.
    State is led by seniors Marckell Patterson and Michael Gholar, who look to improve on an 18-13 record from a season ago. Patterson is the leading remaining scorer from last year’s team, averaging 12.2 points a game in about 27 minutes. The Bulldogs are also paced by returning junior Derrick Zimmerman and junior newcomer Michal Ignerski. Zimmerman averaged 4.6 points a game last season, and Ignerski, who transferred from Eastern Oklahoma State College, averaged 17.3 points a game.