Lady Bulldogs hold exhibition

The Mississippi State University Lady Bulldogs basketball team took the floor Thursday night against the Houston Jaguars for the first of two exhibition games preceding the 2001-02 season. Opening the preseason in fine form, the Lady Bulldogs posted 110 points as they displayed a great mix of talent in a showcase of past and present for MSU.
    Returning only two starters from last year’s team, the Bulldogs welcomed six newcomers to the Humphrey Coliseum hardwood. MSU also played 14 players during the game with nine posting points. Jennifer Fambrough, returning for her final season, posted 24 points in 26 minutes of action to lead the Bulldog charge.
    Junior All-American and Naismith player of the year candidate LaToya Thomas posted 22 points and seven rebounds in 21 minutes. Freshman starter Tan White posted the only double-double of the game with 15 points and 12 rebounds to round out the double-digit scorers for the Bulldogs.
    “We played surprisingly well and stayed focused,” head coach Sharon Fanning said in a press release. “Jenn (Fambrough) and Toya (Thomas) showed leadership, talking to people on the court and helping the newcomers.”
    Newcomers Renea Jones and Ebonie Ferguson each posted nine points in the debuts. Keisha Stringfellow chipped in eight points, and Rebecca Kates and Lyndi Sippel each helped out the Bulldog cause with seven points.
    The Bulldogs welcomed home MSU’s career scoring leader LaCharlotte Smith to the Hump as a member of the Jaguars. Smith posted 14 points against her former team to lead the Jaguars to a 110-79 loss at the hands of the Bulldogs. The Lady Bulldogs will return to the Hump for basketball action in preseason competition Thursday against the Australia Institute of Sport. Tip-off will be at 7 p.m. for the Bulldogs’ final exhibition of the year. There will be no charge for admission to the game.