MSU places second in Transylvania Bowl

This year, Mississippi State University took second place in the State’s annual Transylvania Bowl, a blood drive to raise money for scholarships. “I really hate that we lost this year, especially to Ole Miss,” senior Janice Johnson, said. “Still, it’s a great cause and I’m glad that so many people did turn up to support it. I think that through showing our support for events such as this, we help to show that community that we are interested in taking a part in it.”
    The event unites three of the major Mississippi universities in competition-the University of Mississippi, Mississippi State University, and the University of Southern Mississippi. The Transylvania Bowl is sponsored by the Mississippi Blood Service and focuses on Mississippi residents as the beneficiaries of its endeavors. In recognition of its accomplishment, the university that raises the most units of blood is granted scholarship money for the upcoming school year.
    This year, Ole Miss took the race, collecting over 300 units of blood for the cause. The MSU student body raised 263 units of blood and the University of Southern Mississippi raised 151.
    “We really appreciate the students and faculty for turning out to support this event,” said Jessica Dickson, Panhellenic community service chair and co-coordinator of this event. “I really felt that we represented the university well-maybe next year we will be able to raise enough units to win the scholarship money as well.”
    “I’m really glad that MSU took part in the event,” said senior Lindsey Allen. “It’s really an admirable cause.