Lady Dogs win first two

The opening weekend of the MSU Women’s Basketball team proved to be an impressive showcase of this year’s team. Last Friday night, the Lady Bulldogs hosted and handily defeated Alabama A&M by a score of 88-42. The Lady Bulldogs shot 50.7 percent from the field, while holding A&M to 21.1 percent.
    No starter played more than 25 minutes, and 13 Lady Bulldogs saw action in Friday’s win. LaToya Thomas, Jennifer Fambrough, Renea Jones, Tan White and Rebecca Cates all posted double figures for State. Sunday’s action proved to be a tougher test for head coach Sharon Fanning’s squad.
    A Tennessee Tech team that handed Ole Miss a 22 point loss Friday in Oxford came to town, bringing with them the nation’s third leading scorer from a year ago, Janet Holt. MSU was up to the challenge, however, as they put 97 points on the board for the 12 point win.
    Fanning said that she was pleased to get the win but would like to see a better job of rotating on defense and better footwork. The MSU defensive effort was able to holster Holt to 16 points, while three MSU players accounted for 79 points and 33 rebounds.
    Thomas scored 26 of her 39 in the second half. Thomas commented about the team’s good effort down the stretch, complimented the performances of the freshmen and gave thanks to the fans in attendance.
    One of the freshmen that Thomas alluded to was standout guard White. White was able to use her quickness to penetrate, as well as her outside shooting ability to sink two threes as she totaled 24 points and snagged 14 boards.
    Lone senior Fambrough had a slightly quiet first half but connected on two three-pointers early in the second half that helped fuel the Lady Bulldogs’ 10-0 run after the game had been tied at 41. State never looked back.
    Up next for MSU is a trip up to Iowa for an encounter with nationally ranked Maryland in the Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament on Wednesday. The winner of that will play for the championship on Friday. The Lady Bulldogs will next be in action Nov. 27 against Memphis.