Parking remains campus obstacle

Some commuter students arriving on campus in the early portion of this semester say that Mississippi State University’s parking troubles from previous semesters have not subsided.The commuter east parking zone, which spans Hardy Road between McComas Hall and the band hall, as well as portions of the parking areas behind the Longest Student Health Center, the Industrial Education Building and McKee Hall, is drawing most of the complaints from students due to the gravel parking area in front of the band hall’s construction closure.
    Parking services director Mike Harris said the commuter east zone has more parking spots available now due to the opening of new parking areas where the band practice field formerly stood.
    “The new parking area has 179 spaces while the old gravel area only held 80,” he said. “When the renovations to the gravel lot are completed, it will then hold 133.”
    Construction is on schedule with the gravel parking lot and should be completed by late January or early February, depending on the weather, he said.
    Senior communication major Peter Zelasko said finding a parking spot is not the only difficult task in commuter east.
    “So far this semester, I’ve had difficulty finding parking spots by McComas,” he said. “Parking is pretty bad, but the traffic on Hardy Road is even worse.”
    Zelasko said even though MSU has opened up a new commuter east zone parking area behind the Industrial Education Building, he will continue to try to park near McComas Hall because of the distance to his classes.
    Junior industrial technology major Earl Kimbrough said while he can find a parking place behind the IED building, a lack of signs designating zones in the area has led to confusion amongst commuters and MSU officials patrolling the parking areas.
    “I looked at the parking services map on the MSU Web site, and the orange designating commuter east comes right up to the back of the IED building,” he said.
    Kimbrough said when he parked in a spot designated commuter east by the campus map, he was still ticketed.
    MSU parking services later rescinded Kimbrough’s ticket.
    Student Association President Jeremy Johnson said he has brought up the parking issue with MSU President Robert ‘Doc’ Foglesong in previous meetings.
    “We’re trying to find a way to combat parking trouble in a way that is appealing for everyone,” Johnson said.
    One such solution, a large parking garage, has been discussed many times over the course of the previous years by MSU’s administration.
    Harris said plans for a parking garage are more than talk these days.
    “It is in the works for a year from right now,” he said. “In spring of 2009, we will start the planning stages by looking into architects. Construction could start that same year, but the garage probably will not be finished until 2010.”
    Harris said the parking garage, located in front of Suttle Hall and behind the YMCA building, would hold up to 1,000 parking places and could house offices for the MSU Police Department and parking services.
    Bill Broyles, assistant vice president for student affairs, said MSU is committed to finding a plan for the garage that best suits both students and the university.
    “The pricing is going to be astronomical and the financing is going to be tricky, but we are committed to this idea,” Broyles said.