ESPN, SEC sign historic contract

An agreement sanctioning ESPN to televise SEC sports was announced by the network and the conference Monday.
    The 15-year contract, which begins with the 2009-2010 season, is the longest national rights agreement in ESPN history according to the network’s press release.
    The deal will accompany an arrangement with CBS announced earlier this month.
    With both ESPN and CBS broadcasting games, essentially every SEC football game will be televised, as well as every men’s basketball game between SEC schools.
    The contract details ESPN will pay the SEC $2.25 billion over the 15-year span, according to an article from the Sports Business Journal published Monday.
    The article also states that the contract means three times as much money in television revenue for the SEC.
    Currently, the league receives roughly $70 million per year, but that contract with Raycom Sports ends next spring.
    The Sports Business Journal reported last week that the 15-year CBS deal with the SEC would bring the league $55 million annually.
    Combined with the CBS agreement, the ESPN contract means the SEC will receive an average of $205 million per year in media rights.
    The money that these contracts bring will help MSU athletics, athletic director Greg Byrne told The Clarion-Ledger Monday.
    “This is a big deal for Mississippi State, and it’s a big deal for the SEC,” Byrne said. “It’s a long-term positive financial impact for our department.”
    Byrne could not be reached for further comment.
    Senior associate athletic director Mike Nemeth said the MSU athletic budget will not be realized until June 2010.
    “It is expected to raise the budget by about $6 million,” Nemeth said.
    The record 15-year contract is a strong indication of how ESPN views the SEC.
    “[It] shows the confidence and respect that ESPN has for the Southeastern Conference,” Nemeth said.
    Nemeth said the agreement would provide exposure for both the whole league and the university.
    He also thinks it will help fans keep up with teams, especially those who cannot come to Starkville.
    “There will be a marked increase in the number of Mississippi State athletics’ events televised nationally,” he said.
    Out-of-town alumni, like Germantown, Tenn. resident Aubrey Jackson, should be able to view games from their homes on a regular basis.
    Jackson said he comes to Starkville a few times each season, bringing his family to tailgate and attend several of the football games.
    “It’s very significant for our conference and points to the popularity of our conference,” Jackson said. “ESPN could have picked another conference.”
    The contract includes provisions for a diverse number of sports like women’s basketball, softball, gymnastics and men’s baseball.
    Other collegiate sports, such as track and field, swimming and diving, soccer and volleyball will also be televised over the ESPN network.