BREAKING: Barbour declares state of emergency for Mississippi

Gov. Haley Barbour issued a state of emergency in Mississippi due to the threat tropical storm Gustav poses as it is expected to hit on or near the Mississippi Gulf Coast as a hurricane.
    The National Hurricane Center expects the tropical storm to be upgraded to hurricane status as it moves near Jamaica and begins to enter the Gulf of Mexico. According to a press release issued by the governor’s office, Barbour said in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, it is important to not underestimate the seriousness of the impending storm.
    “One of the most important lessons we learned after Hurricane Katrina was that there is no substitute for awareness and self-help, especially in the days before a hurricane is predicted to hit,” Barbour said. “Now is the time to prepare yourself, your family and your friends.”
    In addition to the state of emergency order, Barbour has authorized the Mississippi Emergency Operations Center to begin operating on a 24-hour basis beginning Friday.
    MSU officials are urging students to monitor weather news on the tropical storm as it becomes available.
    “Students need to develop a plan on what to do in case of an emergency,” associate dean of students Thomas Bourgeois said. “They need to develop a plan to communicate with their parents without using a cell phone.” MSU has made information on the campus response to the possible hurricane along with local emergency contact information at http://www.emergency.msstate.edu/.
    The Reflector will continue to monitor tropical storm Gustav and will have a full story in Friday’s issue.