Food: Summer sweeps new eats to Starkville streets

Red Zone
    Red Zone

New eats. That’s one thing the now dead-and-buried summer break of 2008 has left in its wake. In the short span of four months, a generous portion of new places to chow down and drink up have sprung up around our fair city.
    The globe-spanning spectrum of newcomers to the dining arena of Starkville includes a taste of Asia, Peru, and the return of Cajun cookin’. A new place for gameday fun and a new cure for the Friday night pizza jones have also arrived.
    Here’s a short guide to the newest places to grab some vittles in bulldog country.
    Little Caesar’s
    “To get the customer in and out in thirty seconds or less with a perfect pizza and a smile.”
    That, according to Little Caesar’s general manager Patrick Barnes, is the main goal of Starkville’s newest pizzeria.
    Little Caesar’s main offers are large pepperoni, sausage, or cheese pizzas for $5.55 and their “three meat treat”, which is a large topped with pepperoni, sausage and bacon for $7.50.
    However, if your favorite pizza flavor isn’t one of those listed above, Little Caesar’s is more than willing to accommodate you.
    “We can make you anything you want if you come in to order,” Barnes said.
    Barnes believes that Little Caesar’s prompt service and affordability are what put them a cut above their competition.
    “Nobody can get you a pizza in thirty seconds or less,” he said. “Nobody else is going to charge you $5.55 for a large one topping. You get four guys together, and your lunch is costing you two dollars. You can’t get a two dollar lunch anywhere else unless you go to Wal-Mart and buy some ramen.”
    The decision to bring Little Caesar’s to Starkville came from a common trait of the Little Caesar’s staff: a maroon and white background.
    “From the owner down, everybody that works at this store are bulldogs,” Barnes said. “Everybody that works here is from Mississippi State, and most of us spent our life in McCool Hall.”
    Little Caesar’s also offers crazy bread, cheesy bread, hot wings and tailgating packages including a buy ten pizzas get one free deal.
    Freshman electrical engineering major Erin Tate of the Huntsville, AL area is very grateful to see Little Caesar’s arriving in Starkville.
    “Since I’m new here it makes me feel more at home, because I used to go there with my friends,” she said. “The crazy bread is my favorite.”
    Little Caesar’s is open seven days a week 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.. They are located on Highway 12 next to the Chalet and Dollar General.
    Rosey Baby
    Rosey Baby has been a part of the Starkville family since 1995, however, a year ago, they chose to close temporarily.
    “One of our great employees who’d been with me for many years was diagnosed with cancer,” Rosey Baby owner Curt Krissey said. “She was an integral part of the company. Now she’s in remission and she’s better, but she can’t work any more. We decided to just do special dinners until a couple of months ago when a girl who opened Rosey Baby with me way back in 1995 who’s been to culinary school came back and asked to run the kitchen.”
    Rosey Baby is now back with their usual Cajun fare, but Krissey said that they’re always on the hunt for new, original dishes.
    “We’re French Cajun,” he said. “We cook either French, Cajun or Creole style of cooking. We’ve always been that way and we always try to come up with new items for the menu. The menu is going to be more evolved than it has ever been.”
    Krissey said that one of his main goals for Rosey Baby’s is to provide quality food while remaining economical.
    “We’re trying to give the highest meal for the dollar that you can get,” he said. Rosey Baby’s current prices range from $6 to $29.
    Krissey said that while affordability is a must, quality and originality are priorities for Rosey Baby as well.
    “Everything that you eat at Rosey Baby is original,” he said. “There is nothing preboxed or premade in my kitchen and there never will be. The only thing we don’t really make is our ketchup and our ice cream.”
    Rosey Baby also offers monthly drink specials.
    “Whatever deals I can work out with my suppliers I pass on to the customer,” he said.
    International Business graduate assistant Dave Munn was glad to finally see Rosey Baby’s return.
    “I’m excited that it’s reopening because it’s one of my favorite places to eat in town and it has a great selection of beer on tap,” he said.
    Rosey Baby opens daily from 4 p.m. till. It is located on Jackson St. just south of the railroad tracks.
    Red Zone
    There’s a new place in town for the sports enthusiast to go check out the game while knocking back a few and enjoying food and atmosphere reminiscent of a tailgate party.
    Red Zone specializes in wings and pizza, and, with two large-screen TVs, hopes to bring in a gameday crowd that shares their love of bulldog athletics as pigskin season approaches.
    “The two owners both graduated from state,” Red Zone manager Sagar Desai said. “They had this huge car lot and they just tore it down and built (Red Zone). They figured it would be a great game day place to go with wings and pizza and stuff.”
    Desai said that one of the main reasons for the decision to open Red Zone was that Starkville was lacking in the one key area of gameday cuisine.
    “You don’t see many wings places in Starkville,” he said.
    Wings aren’t Red Zone’s only specialty, however.
    “We have wings, pizzas, calzones, sandwiches, and salads,” Desai said. “(We also have) appetizers like cheesesticks, garlic bread, and fried ravioli.”
    Red Zone’s prices begin with 6.99 wings combo specials.
    As the weather cools down one of Red Zone’s main draws is their large outdoor patio.
    “During football season we’ll set up speakers out here,” Desai said concerning this. “It’s just a great environment. During the schoolyear we’ll have one or two piece acoustic bands. We want to get some college kids out here and have some specials.
    Senior mechanical engineering major Bailey May says that Red Zone’s wings deliver.
    “Their wings are flavorful and delicious,” he said. “They are among the best I’ve ever had.”
    Red Zone is open from 11 AM to 11 PM seven days a week. They are located just west of Rick’s on Highway 182.
    Gordo’s Charcoal Rotisserie Chicken
    Students hungering for something different can get their fix at Gordo’s. A taste of something different is exactly the goal set forth by Gordo’s Charcoal Rotisserie Chicken, Starkville’s first authentic Peruvian restaurant.
    “My mom has restaurants in Peru,” Eduardo Reyes, Gordo’s manager and son of the owner, said.
    Eduardo and his younger brother both attend Mississippi State, which led to the decision of opening a restaurant.
    “She decided to give the consumers of this town something new,” Reyes said.
    Gordo’s prepares their chicken using a method very different from most rotisserie chicken available in the area.
    “It’s different than regular rotisserie chicken made with propane,’ Reyes said concerning the charcoal grilled dish. “It’s marinated in a special homemade sauce. That’s what makes it so juicy.”
    In addition to Rotisserie chicken, Reyes said Gordo’s also offers other South American dishes and “good appetizers that can get you full.”
    Gordo’s prices range from around $4 to $10 dollars.
    Reyes said Mississippi State students should check out Gordo’s to get a break from the ordinary.
    “They’ll have a different experience with their meal,” he said. “It’s different from a burger. It’s different from Mexican also. It’s a taste from South America. There’s nothing like that here. That’s what we’re trying to bring to the public.”
    Sophomore Political Science major Barrie Rhemann was thrilled to check out Gordo’s unique offerings.
    “It’s great to see a wider variety of ethnic restaurants in Starkville,” she said. “I was excited to try out Peruvian food.”
    Gordo’s hours are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. They are located on Highway 182 next to AAA jewelry and loan.
    Jean Café
    When you hear the name Jean’s Café, Asian cuisine may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but quality and affordable Asian dining are what Jean’s Café owners Albert and Helen Ma have set out to provide the Starkville community with.
    “Everyone thinks Jean’s Café is an American restaurant,” Helen Ma laughs. “Jean is a Chinese word also.”
    Jean’s Café is actually named for Ma’s youngest daughter, who is attending college in California. Ma has been in the restaurant business for forty years and in multiple states, but she plans to settle down for running Jean’s and be near her older daughter’s family.
    Unlike the Chinese buffets around town, Jean’s Café’s main offerings are made to order Asian combos including rice, an egg roll , and one of several entrees. Noodle bowls in stir fry, lo mein, and soup styles are also offered. Jean’s most popular appetizer, the cheese wontons, is also a great seller according to Ma. Jean’s prices are $4.99 for lunch combos, $6.74 for dinner combos, and noodle bowls start at $6.50.
    Ma says people have been amazed at the quality of her food for the price.
    “People wonder how we can cook with such fresh ingredients,” she said.
    When it opened two months ago, Jean’s café had a large hurdle to overcome when Ma discovered the city wouldn’t allow her to put a sign on University Drive. The restaurant is located directly behind Up Your Alley Tamales and Margarita’s, away from the street, and Ma worried that people would have difficulty seeing it. However, word of mouth has allowed Jean’s to easily overcome this.
    “People can’t find us,” she said. “They don’t know we’re here. But we’ve had business all this time we were open because people tell their friends, roommates, and co-workers about us. 99% of people like it and come back. We have people that eat here four times a week. If you want great, fresh food that’s cooked with love, you should come to Jean’s Café.”
    Senior sports communication and marketing major is one of Jean’s Café’s earliest and most loyal customers.
    “Jean’s is my favorite Chinese restaurant in Starkville because it’s cooked to order,” Thompson said. “Mrs. Helen is very welcoming. It’s always fresh and delicious.”
    Jean’s Café is located just off of University Drive behind Up Your Alley Tamale’s and Margarita’s. Their hours are 11 AM till for lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday.