Games to watch

Kansas at South Florida

Tonight, 7 p.m., ESPN
    Usually when two ranked teams meet, it’s a pretty good game to tune in for. Kansas rolls into Tampa this weekend ranked No. 13 in the land, having won its first two games by a combined score of 69-10. The competition gets a bit stiffer this weekend, though, as the Bulls of South Florida, ranked No. 19, prepare to defend their home turf.
    The Jayhawks’ high-powered offense is led by Heisman hopeful Todd Reesing. So far on the season, Reesing and the Jayhawks have hooked up for more than 600 passing yards and six touchdowns. Four of those were to dynamic sophomore wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe.
    South Florida is coming off an overtime win over in-state foe Central Florida, whom you’ll recall was State’s opponent in last year’s Liberty Bowl. Kansas’ last opponent is also familiar to State fans, yet it brings up a more negative
    memory: Louisiana Tech.

Georgia at South Carolina

Tomorrow, 3:30 p.m., CBS
    You know those folks that tailgate near you with a TV and satellite dish? It’s time to buddy up to them and watch this game while you tailgate.
    South Carolina still has high hopes for a good year after a week-two setback at Vanderbilt but has to knock off No. 2 Georgia to avoid starting the conference schedule 0-2.
    Georgia, on the other hand, will finally be tested after cakewalks over Georgia Southern and Central Michigan. The Bulldogs have very high hopes for this year, and a brutal SEC schedule begins this week. In addition to the first test to the Bulldogs’ hopes for a conference and national title, Georgia also looks to avenge a 16-12 loss to South Carolina between the hedges last season.

Auburn at Missisisppi State

Tomorrow, 6 p.m., ESPN2
    This game actually is sort of similar to the South Carolina-Georgia game in some ways. You have a top 10 team traveling to an unranked conference team looking to avenge a home loss from last year. Both home teams are still stinging from being upset already this season. Spooky. At any rate, if you’re a State fan you have to be fired up for this game. It’s our first conference game. It’s under the lights, which adds to the atmosphere, and it’s on ESPN2. To quote Wesley Carroll on the game, “It doesn’t get any better than that.” Seriously. If you like football, and I’m assuming you do if you’re reading this, then come to the game. If you don’t like football, come anyway. Wear maroon and cheer when the rest of our fans cheer. It’ll be fun, I promise.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Sunday, 1 p.m., ABC
    This marks the first race in the Chase for the Cup.

Philadelphia at Dallas

Monday, 7:30 p.m., ESPN
    This one will be a battle. These two teams, along with reigning Super Bowl champion New York, will fight it out all season for the top spot in the brutal NFC East. There is no love lost between these teams, and the rivalry heated up even more when former Eagles receiver Terrell Owens wound up in Dallas.
    While Dallas won the division last year with 13 wins, Philadelphia had an off year and missed the playoffs. If last week is any indication, however, the Eagles are back in contention, with a healthy Donovan McNabb throwing for over 300 yards in St. Louis.
    As if the matchup wasn’t intriguing enough, this marks the first home game of Dallas’ last year in Texas Stadium.