Debate Royale

Supporters gather in the Grove Friday to show support for their candidates, parties and ideologies as the national spotlight descended on Oxford. Visitors, guests and journalists from around the nation visited Ole Miss this week for the first presidential debate of the year.

Presidential hopefuls Sen. John McCain and Sen. Barack Obama discussed foreign policy in the first presidential debate of the campaign season Friday. The debate was held at the Ford Center at The University of Mississippi and broadcast through national television outlets.
    Exact numbers have not yet been released, but the event drew thousands of students, families and media representatives to Oxford over the last week.
    While only media, important guests and a select few students from Ole Miss were allowed into the actual debate, thousands gathered on campus to watch the debate in the Grove on two high-definition screens and enjoy the festivities.
    Oxford resident Tom Kerber, 45, said he came to watch the debate on campus because it was a good opportunity for interaction.
    “It [being on campus] adds a little more interest,” he said. “There’s a lot more excitement and a lot more energy being close up.”
    Aliza McGee, assistant manager at the Ole Miss Bookstore, said the university hosted multiple events all months promoting the debate, and media outlets began to arrive Thursday.
    “It’s been packed all day today [Friday],” McGee said. “Media started broadcasting at 5:30 a.m. here.”
    Attendees clamored among the dozens of media tents, waving signs, showing off T-shirts and participating in cheers for each presidential candidate prior to and following the debate. Obama fans held a large majority, judging by the amount of signs, T-shirts and chants throughout the campus.
    Shortly before 8 p.m., the stage at the Grove cleared and the lights dimmed. A hush fell over the crowd as everyone scrambled to find a seat.
    As the two screens flashed the first images of the Ford Center, the crowd erupted into an ear-splitting roar. The roar increased as Ole Miss Chancellor Robert Khayat recognized his university, then grew deafening as moderator Jim Lehrer of PBS welcomed the nation to this year’s first debate.
    The crowd appeared spellbound by the two men vying to lead the nation for the next term, remaining quiet as they listened for insight. Those in the Grove laughed at McCain’s jokes, cheered when Obama looked McCain straight in the eyes, and applauded when Lehrer insisted the candidates answer his questions.
    The attendees let their voices be heard by cheering for issues at the forefront of voters’ minds: the economic crisis, healthcare, the Iraq War, energy and foreign oil dependence.
    McGee said she enjoys the debates because they help her decide how to vote.
    “That’s how I make my decision,” she said. “For me, tonight definitely helped, and I think not just this debate, but the other ones as well [will help me decide].”
    UM computer and information science doctoral student James Church was one of the 150 students present in the debate hall.
    Church said he thought the candidates gave adequate answers to most of Lehrer’s questions.
    “Neither candidate was willing to admit that the bailout would significantly change their budget proposals,” he said.
    Church said he had already decided to vote for Obama prior to the debate because of his views on open government, science, education and technology. He said Obama won the evening’s debate.
    “Barack Obama performed better and he won by a narrow margin,” Church said. “I was impressed by both candidates.”