Village dedicated to former president

MSU formally dedicated Zacharias Village, a complex of four residence halls on the northeast side of campus, Sept. 5.
    Formerly known as Northeast Village, the complex received its official name in honor of Donald W. Zacharias, who served as university president for 12 years.
    Vice president for student affairs Bill Kibler welcomed guests to the dedication and made special note of the significance of campus housing, specifically Zacharias Village.
    “The on-campus housing is the heart and soul of Mississippi State,” Kibler said.
    Composed of Ruby Hall, Hurst Hall, Griffis Hall and Building Three, Zacharias Village is the newest campus housing available to students.
    Interim President Vance Watson said the village is an important addition.
    “This village represents one of the greatest enhancements in the university’s history,” Watson said.
    Professor emeritus John Marszalek said two of Zacharias’ most visible legacies include the Sanderson Center and the improvements to the library.
    “Donald Zacharias established the framework that we have at this university,” Marszalek said.
    Zacharias also worked to support the Schillig Foundation, now the MSU Distinguished Scholars Program, increasing the number of scholars on campus.
    After retiring from the presidency in 1997, Zacharias served as the scholars’ director and mentor.
    Watson said Zacharias continued to be an important adviser for the university after his retirement.
    He said Zacharias was a good listener who made his decisions with respect and class.
    Watson also spoke of Zacharias’ wife Tommie and her accomplishments as former first lady.
    Watson said the Zachariases effectively managed the university during a difficult time of multiple financial cuts, seeking to raise funds for the university via private donors and campaigns.
    “They [the Zachariases] did remarkable things to heal the university,” Watson said.
    Tom Meredith, commissioner of the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning, said the village will bear a name associated with tremendous character.
    “That name [Zacharias] stands for courage, integrity and class,” he said. “It inspires students to aspire,” Meredith said.
    Zacharias said he was overwhelmed when former MSU President Robert “Doc” Fogelsong called him last spring to announce that the university wanted to name the complex after him.
    He and his wife were excited and surprised over the crowd for the dedication, Zacharias said.
    “Frankly, I was shocked,” Zacharias said. “The turnout made us feel special and honored.”