Homecoming events scheduled throughout weekend

The Student Association, Alumni Association and Campus Activities Board continue to hold a variety of events to celebrate homecoming this week.
    The theme of this year’s homecoming week is “Capture the Maroon.”
    SA director of student activities Avent Clark said the theme reflects Mississippi State University’s current state.
    “It just seems like we’ve made a lot of changes for the best and have a lot of new things coming,” she said.
    She also said the student body has always been great, and it has continuously changed.
    “I was kind of thinking of a film strip and watching the time go by and watching things grow and change,” Clark said. “It’s kind of like capturing time in a film strip, but even though we have gone through change, we’re still Bulldogs, and we’re still maroon even with the changes.”
    Clark said there will be a parade starting at Bulldog Deli at 4:30 p.m..
    “The band will be there and the homecoming court will be presented at that time,” she said. “And the cheerleaders and pom-squad will perform.”
    Assistant director of the Colvard Student Union Cedric Gathings said the National Panhellenic Council will be hosting the homecoming step show Saturday at 8:30 p.m. in the Humphrey Coliseum.
    “A lot [the step groups] have taken a lot of time to perfect their steps as well as being creative with their themes.”
    “Tickets will be sold starting at 7 p.m., the doors will be opened at 8 p.m.,” Gathings said. “It will be $15 at the door.”
    Executive director of the MSU Alumni Association Jimmy Abraham said for the third year in a row, the Alumni Association will have a big-top tent in the Junction.
    “We feed approximately 1,000 people free of charge at each game,” he said. “[We’ll serve] Little Dooey’s barbeque, chips and drinks.”
    The Black Student Alliance will also host a talent show and a cook-out in the amphitheater, Clark said.
    “The Mississippi State Fashion Board is hosting a fashion show and bake sale from about 4 p.m.,” he said.
    Freshman human sciences major Nick Hall said he is planning on going to Thursday’s talent show and Saturday night’s step show.
    “There’s so many events. I know there’s something everyday basically this week,” he said.