Why can’t our officials abide by Honor Code

As with every U.S. political election, mainly presidential, there are many secrets revealed and many skeletons find their way out of closets. These things range from a possible love child to embezzlement. Normally these things are saved for celebrities and high profile politicians. It never seems to affect small-town universities such as Mississippi State unless it’s something like someone being pregnant or a teacher getting a DUI – small things.
    But recently, MSU got a taste of what this feels like. I’m of course speaking of the Vance Watson-Tom Meredith “scandal” that has been uncovered in the past couple of weeks. Some university money was slung around, but keeping ties with the MSU Honor Code, Watson was ordered to repay so as not to steal or accept the actions of those who do.
    As a believer of government conspiracies and an all-around government skeptic, I immediately wondered what else the university officials have been hiding from the public, including students, after this information was released. What all goes on behind the curtains? There are likely many things we will never know.
    But remember, MSU is a small-town college, and word of mouth is the most common medium. If something suspicious occurs, you’d think students would be aware of it. For example, if there were something questionable with how tuition money is spent we would certainly know about it. Then again, maybe the old saying “ignorance is bliss” is the best attitude for MSU students.
    The one problem I have is that I am forced to sign the MSU Honor Code on my assignments and tests. I feel that the officials, especially those who helped with the creation and application of the code, should abide by the same rules that I am forced to follow. And as a student, I want to get answers to small questions like why the daffodils are missing, why a man on the Drill Field is allowed to scream at me for my devil clothes and why I’m not allowed to lock my bike to a tree when there are no bike racks available. There are many questions unanswered and many secrets kept within this school and, I’m sure, other schools around the nation.
    Sadly, it seems that once this undesirable secret was revealed about MSU, I felt a little violated by my university. I look at the old cowbell on my bookshelf as I would look at a couple’s picture after a nasty breakup. This could be due to the fact that I am skeptical about authority figures and their motives in deciding my future and the plans that which my money is used.
    But, I’m sure I’ll get over this little tuft with MSU like any other bump in the road of my mess of a life. And because these are only speculations, other than the recent scandal, dear old State should be in the clear for a while. The recent findings in the school only caused a few front-page splashes through The Reflector and hopefully nothing else will happen to the school to create higher numbers of presidents within one year.
    Bailey Singletary is a senior majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected].