Molly Ringwalds bring blast from past to State Theatre

The Molly Ringwalds, who describe themselves as “The World’s Greatest ’80s Tribute Band,” bring all things from the Reagan Era to the stage at the State Theatre tonight.
    Originally from Sheffield, England, the quintet has been able to combine their talents to recreate the music and nostalgia that is the ’80s.
    First of all, the members have unique names: Sir Devon Nooner is on lead vocals, guitar and synthesizer; Randi Wilde is on lead guitar; Dickie English is on synthesizers and vocals; Sir Liam Thunders is on drums and vocals and Lord Phillip “Hottub, Pensacola, Manwich, Dungeons and Dragons, Do It ‘Till U Get It Right, Everybody Loves a Squirter and Dwarf, Foof” Wang is on bass.
    The Ringwalds also have interesting stories. According to their Web site, Nooner was a personal assistant to the one-armed drummer of Def Leppard. Wang, the far-from-last “survivor of Sheffield, England’s legendary Wang Dynasty,” formed a band with his cousin Chang, and the rest is ’80s trivia.
    Thunders played the skins on David Bowie’s 1981 Farewell “I really mean it this time” Tour. Wilde wears his “Sunglasses At Night” because he wanted to play the lead role in the production of “Yes, I Can – The Sammy Davis Jr. Story.” English has a talent for knitting and drinking with both arms tied to his keyboard.
    Secondly, all five Ringwalds dress as a different character from the ’80s: Nooner is Adam Ant of Adam and the Ants, a New Wave group from the ’80s, English is Pee-wee Herman, the title character of the seminal children’s show “Pee-wee’s Playhouse.”
    Wilde is another New Wave character, a Devo member, most likely Mark Mothersbaugh, Wang is pop-culture diva Madonna and Thunders kicks and punches as Daniel Larusso, better known as “Daniel-san,” the lead character of “Karate Kid.”
    With all the flash and pizazz, The Molly Ringwalds put on a good show. During the show the group plays videos in the background during which they incorporate themselves into. It is as much about the music as it is about the show and the atmosphere.
    “I saw them last year, and I was pleasantly surprised,” former lecturer at MSU Emily Stinson said. “I like some ’80s music, and I was a little skeptical, but they put on a really good show. It was definitely worth seeing that show.”
    Chances are, if it was popular in the ’80s or even now, then they play it. “Pour Some Sugar On Me” by Def Leppard, “Faith” by George Michael, “Little Red Corvette” by Prince and “Everybody Have Fun Tonight” by Wang Chung are some of the covers they play.
    On their previous visits to Starkville, the band has recieved a popular reception.
    “I listen to a lot of ’80s music, so I’m looking forward to hearing them play,” bartender at the State Theatre Dave Wood said.
    “I’ve heard a good deal about them and I’m sure the crowd will be great.”
    Check out videos they made intertwined with the real videos of the original artists on their Web site, themollyringwalds.com. Top Honors go to “Separate Ways” by Journey and “Beat It” by the ’80s master Michael Jackson.