America’s colleges nix lunch trays

A longtime staple of the college cafeteria is disappearing nationwide. Not the pizza station or the long lines, but the trays are vanishing.
    Anyone who frequents Perry Cafeteria has undoubtedly seen the signs saying going trayless is significantly cheaper and greener.
    Aramark and Sodexo, both catering giants, have conducted extensive tests to determine the economical and environmental cost of maintaining cafeteria trays. Their conclusion is to ditch the trays altogether.
    The Associated Press reports over half of Aramark’s and over a third of Sodexo’s partners are expecting to get rid of their trays.
    According to an article in Time magazine, Sodexo spokesperson Monica Zimmer said five times more energy and water are consumed in dining halls than any other square foot on college campuses.
    A 2008 Aramark study found one-third to one-half gallons of water were used to wash each tray. This translates into 288,000 gallons saved throughout the various periods of the year these studies were conducted.
    Aramark spokesperson Jennifer Barnette said she is not surprised the movement will help save water and electricity.
    “A year on average, we waste about 648,000 gallons of water washing trays,” she said.
    Vice president for student affairs Bill Kibler said the transition also helps to eliminate waste.
    “[Aramark’s] research shows . there is a natural tendency, when you have a tray, to fill it up,” he said.
    Aramark’s nationwide study confirms 1.2 ounces to 1.8 ounces of food waste is reduced per person when trayless dining is implemented. Removing trays reduced food waste by 25 to 30 percent.
    Many colleges have already begun these initiatives. USA Today reported New York University has dropped food waste per tray by 4.03 ounces to less than 2.73 ounces; the Universities of North Carolina and Maine-Farmington have both achieved some level of traylessness, and the University of Texas college newspaper has also reported such achievements for its university.
    Anticipating criticism, Aramark surveyed 92,000 students at 300 campuses across North America. Seventy-nine percent of students were fine with eliminating trays. Still, some students aren’t so quick to part with their beloved cafeteria trays.
    Freshman Aisha Little said although trayless service will help save resources, the transition will cause delays.
    “”If [we have to] go back and get another plate [we] just waste a lot of time,” she said.
    MSU freshman Gregory Cole said he supports trayless dining.
    “We don’t need trays,” he said. “You can just go back and get another plate.”
    Cafeteria staff member Angela Hudson said the initiative would be a valuable transition for the university.
    “Do you know how much water you waste washing these trays?” she said.
    Last spring, trays were removed for one day in honor of Earth Day. Kibler said the university received many complaints.
    “There are [valid] arguments on both sides,” he said, refferring to the positions for and against removing trays from cafeterias.
    Barnette said she wants to work with the student body for her cause.
    “We are going to push more initiatives,” she said. “[We will] hopefully get the Student Association involved.”
    Kibler said he keeps environmental responsibility a priority.