Students debate candidates’ platforms

Students with different political ideologies gathered Wednesday to debate the top issues of the 2008 presidential campaign at the Wise Center auditorium. Those who considered themselves Democrat, Republican and Independent discussed whether Barack Obama or John McCain had better stances on various policies. Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, Student Association, Black Student Alliance, Stennis-Montgomery Association and the Pre-Law Society sponsored the debate.
    Holmes Cultural Diversity Center graduate assistant Leonia Fowler said she thought the students prepared well for the debate.
    “I think the students have done a great job this evening debating the issues and showed up extremely prepared,” Fowler. “If even one person leaves tonight with a better understanding of the issues, then I believe we succeeded our goal.”
    Among the issues discussed at the event were the war in Iraq, health care, education and the economy. SA secretary and event moderator Whitney Holliday held each side’s point of view to two minutes with a one-minute rebuttal to follow.
    The first issue of the evening, education, started to show the clear divisions between the two major presidential candidates.
    Sophomore Democrat Katie Allen spoke against McCain’s support of school vouchers and the No Child Left Behind Act.
    “We should not give public money to private schools,” Allen said. “We need to improve existing education laws because No Child Left Behind has failed.”
    Freshman Republican Sarthak Sharma rebutted Allen’s statements with reasons why parents and students should support McCain’s education policies.
    “John McCain believes parents should have the right to choose the school for their children,” he said. “Parents should have the best education possible for their children and if Barack Obama can send his children to a private school, then everyone should have that opportunity.”
    Students then took issue with both candidates’ tax policies. Sophomore McCain supporter Blake Jeter said Obama’s recent remarks on the campaign trail show how the Democrat will use welfare programs.
    “Obama wants to increase taxes on everyone making over $250,000 and to spread the wealth in a welfare-like program,” Jeter said. “I believe it was Ronald Reagan who said the best welfare is a job; you will get out of poverty by getting a job.”
    Sophomore Independent Samuel Omoyege backed Jeter’s statements but noted that the government may have no choice in having to tax those with the highest incomes.
    “I agree with the Robin Hood theory saying that Obama will take from the rich and give to the poor,” he said. “But I believe that the top income earners are the only ones who can be taxed more.”
    Before entering the auditorium, students were asked to participate in the town hall portion of the debate by offering their own questions for the panel. Tensions on stage grew as an audience member asked what would happen if Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin became president.
    Allen said Palin had no reason be on the ticket and even questioned her intelligence.
    “It is apparent that Palin is unqualified to be president of the United States not only because of her lack of experience but also the lack of knowledge she has shown,” Allen said. “McCain’s decision to choose Palin was a blatant attempt to lure [Hillary] Clinton voters.
    Quickly firing back, Sharma said Palin’s executive experience outweighed Obama’s and both she and the Illinois Democrat are somewhat alike.
    “Palin brings experience with energy issues and is a non-insider to Washington,” he said. “If Palin did not have the Alaskan dialect then she would be the female Barack Obama. She may not speak as well as Obama, who uses a teleprompter, but she is more qualified than he.”
    After the debate, junior chemical engineering major Rebecca Atkinson said the forum helped her to see where the candidates stood on the issues.
    “I have not decided yet who I am voting for,” Atkinson said.
    “But this has helped me in making that decision, especially by hearing what the independents have to say. They present the good and bad points of both candidates,” she said.
    The debate was held as part of the MSU Decision 2008 program. Earlier last week students selected Obama as their Presidential nominee in a mock election on campus.