Republicans aim to win Democratically controlled 2nd District seat.

The second congressional district race takes place today with incumbent democrat Bennie Thompson facing republican Richard Cook.
    The second district of Mississippi is the only section of the state in which African Americans make up a majority of the electorate and can be found in the far western part of the state. Agriculture is the dominate industry in the district which encompasses over 275 miles and boarders the Mississippi River.
    According to his web site, Thompson, first elected in 1993, is chairman on the homeland security committee, and is currently in his eighth term in office. Throughout his tenure in office, Thompson has received perfect scores from the Alliance of Retired Americans, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and National Educational Association.
    Byram resident Richard Cook has been a part of the Mississippi education landscape for over 20 years. Cook currently teaches within the Jackson Public School District, teaching gifted students.
    According to Cook’s website, he wants to cut taxes and wasteful government spending.
    “The best way to help stimulate the economy is to let the people keep most of their money and decide how to spend it,” he said. We need to stop earmark . spending. Let’s spend hard earned taxpayer money on things that are necessary – not spend to just be spending.”
    One of the biggest issue differences between both candidates is the right to health care. Thompson is a proponent of universal health care while Cook is against any type of universal system. According to Thompson’s Web site, he has always wanted a government ran health system for his constituents.
    “Support for universal healthcare and increased accessibility and quality have been staple issues for Congressman Thompson,” Thompson’s Web site reads. “He supports making childcare more affordable, prescription drugs less expensive, leave time more widely available and AIDS research – in the U.S. and in Africa – a top budgetary priority.”
    Cook believes healthcare should be affordable and not ran by the government.
    “A nationalized health care system is not the answer,” his Web site states. “There are issues to be worked out, but let the health care companies, working with the government, come up with a way to ensure that all Americans can have the heath care they require, but not at the expense of the already overburdened taxpayer.”
    While Thompson is heavily favored to win re-election, Cook said he always knew the race would be a hard fought battle.
    “I have put a lot of thought and prayer into my decision to run for this office. Many have said it would be a long, hard road. I knew this from the beginning. But in my heart I knew it was the right thing to do.”
    With record voter turn out expected today, the winner of the second congressional district will head to Washington D.C. with a new president and possibly large gains by either major political party.