UPDATED: Croom resigns head coaching position

Mississippi State University head football coach Sylvester Croom has resigned his coaching position effective immediately.
    Croom’s resignation follows a 45-0 loss against Ole Miss, the most lopsided Egg Bowl score since 1971. In five seasons, Croom led the Bulldogs to a 21-38 overall record.
    In a statement posted on MSU’s athletic Web site, Croom thanked former MSU President Charles Lee and former athletic director Larry Templeton for the opportunity to coach at MSU.
    “Five years ago, Mississippi State gave me the unprecedented opportunity to be a head football coach in the Southeastern Conference and to build a program based upon a strong foundation,” Croom said. “I believe the foundation has been set for those goals to be reached under the leadership of someone else, and it was my decision to resign.”
    MSU will immediately begin a search for Croom’s successor. All current assistant coaches will remain with the university until a new head coach is hired.
    The Reflector will provide continuing updates on any further coaching changes as they occur.