Politics, family take center stage at McComas Hall

Theatre MSU will present a comedy this week about the life of twins and the differences between them that developed throughout four decades. Seven Mississippi State University students will be in the production. “The Mineola Twins,” written by Paula Vogel, is the story of two sisters who are alike in that they are twins but completely different in the ways they choose to live.
    “I picked it because it works well down here,” said director and MSU communication instructor Jo Durst. “It’s a comedy farce and I haven’t done one for a long time, and it’s fun to do. I like the nature of the play.”
    The play features political commentary from the ’50s through the ’80s that Jo Durst said she really likes.
    “It’s an interesting time and it’s a fun … spoof because there are so many stereotypes,” she said.
    “It operates as a kind of political satire,” said Wayne Durst, associate professor of communication. “It’s kind of a stereotype over time.”
    It refers to topics such as Nixon and Watergate, the beat poets and the Cold War, he said.
    “I think it’s a very interesting, very fun kind of play,” he said.
    The play shows both an extreme right-wing point of view and an extreme left-wing point of view by use of the twins.
    “The cast has been one full in pushing it to the farce level, but maintaining a tone that makes you think,” Wayne Durst said. “It’s a fun play and a good cast.”
    The cast includes Maggie Spann, Kristen James, James Comans, Jarrod Bates, Amanda Bobo, Merideth Van Wick, Daniel Crowley and Alex Byars.
    Spann and James play the twins, Myrna and Myra respectively.
    “I love Myrna,” Spann said. “She’s crazy. I’ve never gotten to play someone crazy before.”
    In addition to playing her character, James said she really enjoys the play.
    “A lot of us play family members, and we’ve really become a small family,” James said. “Although, I think Maggie and I like each other more than our characters.”
    Spann said she thinks people have to find middle ground politically.
    “You have to choose a happy medium,” she said. “If you’re an extreme to one side or the other, you stifle yourself in personality and morals. If you can find a balance, even if it’s not right in the middle … I think you’ll be more open-minded in the long run.”
    Jo Durst said the play is about choice in general.
    “You can choose your lifestyle,” she said. “We all have choices,” she said.
    About 20 people auditioned in January, and the cast has been rehearsing for five weeks, Jo Durst said.
    The play will run from Wednesday to Friday. at 7:30 p.m. Seats are limited.
    Tickets are $5 for general admission and are available by reservation.