Columbus Pilgrimage offers chance to step back in time

A pilgrimage is a journey or return to a special place. This year’s Columbus Pilgrimage is no different. In its 68th year, the event allows visitors from around the country and world to view the grandeur and opulence of a much romanticized old South. The South of Faulkner, Welty and Williams.Each spring, the historic homes and churches of Columbus are opened and events are held to commemorate the antebellum South. Owners of the homes and residents of the city don their mid-19th Century best and retell the stories and lore of their historic counterparts.
    The living historians act as tour guides through the homes and gardens, offering anecdotes into the lives of past residents and the tales of the structures themselves.
    Joyce Bray, a Columbus resident in her 25th year as a historic reenactor, says the pilgrimage puts the history of the town on display, but that even she gains enjoyment from the event.
    “I enjoy meeting the people that come and showcasing the history of Columbus,” she said.
    So far the Pilgrimage has had about 3,000 visitors this year representing 35 states and 10 countries, according to Nancy Carpenter, exective director of the Columbus Historic Foundation.
    Owning a home on the tour for many is a highlight of the year.
    “It’s so wonderful. The visitors are so appreciative of the homes. We love that we’re able to share all the rich history that has taken place here,” said JoAnne Leike, owner of White Arches, which was built in 1857. “We’ve also had a great time since we’ve gotten the house buying antiques for the house.”
    The Leikes, like many of the homeowners, take special pains to ensure the historical accuracy displayed within the structure.
    “While many of the furnishings in our home are original to it, we’ve only purchased items from the 1800s that were made in the United States so the interior would look and feel just like it would have back then,” said Dick Leike.
    Signs are everywhere of the previous residents, from old portraits of past owners to the funeral notice of a daughter of the original owner of White Arches who caught pnuemonia at a party at the home and died. The sense of being close to history is felt throughout the tour.
    Most of the homes are full-time residences for their current owners and it’s not uncommon to see modern amenities alongside 150 year-old antiques.
    “I like White Hall because it is a lot simpler than other homes and we’ve done our best to preserve it, but we also live here and I call it ‘antebellum on a budget,'” said Carol Boggess, of her 160 year-old home.
    In addition to the home tours the Pilgrimage offers carriage rides throughout the historic districts, tours of the famous Friendship Cemetary and the popular “Tales from the Crypt” tours.
    “Tales from the Crypt” is an award-winning project of students from the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science in which they portray notable figures from Columbus’ past alongside their graves. Some who are portrayed include five Confederate army generals, two former Mississippi governors and a United States Congressman.
    “Last year we had bunch of MSU students come to “Tales from the Crypt,” and the carriage rides are also a cheap date,” Carpenter said.
    “Tales from the Crypt” will continue this Wednesday and Friday night from 7 to 10 p.m., and tickets for MSU students are only $1.
    Through Saturday, tours of the homes will continue until 10 p.m. Tickets are available at the Tennessee Williams Home and Visitor’s Center on Main Street in Columbus. Tickets are $15 for adults, $8 for children and $14 for senior citizens and military. Carriage rides through the historic districts are Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. and are $5. For more information on the Columbus Pilgrimage, visit www.historic-columbus.org.