Political site lets students speak out

Mississippi State University will be featured as the “College of the Week” on non-profit political Weblog site YourThreeCents.com next week.Targeted toward students, Your Three Cents launched in November 2007 and was founded by college graduates from Binghamton University, Temple University, Pennsylvania State University and Syracuse University.
    Media representative Laura Neroulias said the site’s name came about as a response to Generation Y.
    “The only way we can make a difference in our nation is if this generation takes a stand and speaks up on what is going on in our minds and giving ‘your three cents,'” Neroulias said.
    Your Three Cents was created with the realization that everything revolves around politics, Neroulias said. Not finding a forum in which America’s youth could express their political opinions, the site began as a way to show what and how students think politically.
    The site’s goal is to establish a blogging community where ideas are expressed and exchanged, she said. “It aims to be Generation Y’s advocate and outlet,” she said. “Nothing is to be censored; no voice is to remain quiet.”
    Neroulias said the “College of the Week” portion of the Web site began in January with Florida State University.
    She said in order for a school to be selected, it must have a solid reputation. Neroulias also said a student at a particular college could nominate his or her school.
    She said schools are chosen from around the nation in a balanced manner so as to prevent the site from being one-sided.
    The Web site does not have staff writers. Youth and students determine the content of the site by posting messages on it, Neroulias said.
    “It is comprised of passionate, young Americans who are all about making a positive difference for their future and their country’s future,” she said.
    The site aims to show students what goes on politically outside of their school’s region, Neroulias said.
    “We believe and know that today’s youth has an obligation to enable change and politically influence this country and the world,” she said.
    Stennis-Montgomery Association president Lori Ann Holland said participation and involvement are vital in politics.
    Some of the ways students can get involved politically are through blogs, working campaigns or becoming a member of a campus political organization, she said.
    “We don’t have a right to complain unless we get involved,” Holland said.
    She said as Americans, students have the right, privilege and civic duty to vote and be involved in the political world.
    “If you think there’s a problem with the country or the government, get involved and work.”
    Sophomore political science major Lee Thorne said it is important for students to be politically involved because politics cover every aspect of life.
    Students often have the “we can change the world” mentality, and this can be helpful in transforming politics, Thorne said.
    “They [students] want to get things done, they don’t want to keep the status quo,” Thorne said.