Tracksters turn in solid performance

Members of the MSU track team attended the 50th annual Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut Grove, Calif. on Friday. Matthew Cameron finished with a personal best of 3 minutes, 49.26 seconds in the 1,500-meter run to take second place overall and set a freshman school record.
    Adam Lenz also captured a freshman school record with a time of 30:25.91. With his time, Lenz moves into third all-time in the event in the Mississippi State history book.
    Junior Robert Scribner completed in the 10,000 meter run in ninth place with a personal best time of 29:59.33.
    “Scribner ran a great race,” said assistant coach Houston Franks. “To finish the race in under 30 minutes is a good deal.”
    Other members of the track and field teams competed at the Bulldog Limited at the University of Georgia on Saturday.
    One of the highlights for Mississippi State during the day was senior Jamil Hubbard’s first-place time of 46.05 secondsin the 400-meter run, which qualified him for regionals.
    In the 800-meter run, senior Chris Woods took first with a regional qualifying time of 1:48.55.
    Senior Golden Coachman won the one-mile run with a time of 4:12.30.
    Sophomore Kendall May, junior John Bailey, senior Jamil Hubbard, and freshman O’Neal Wilder turned in a regional-qualifying time of 39.70 in in the 4×100 meter relay. The quartet of Wilder, Hubbard, Bailey, and Mays turned in a time of 1:22.56 in the 4×200 meter relay race. Senior Kyle Roberts, freshman Emanuel Mayers, Coachman and Wilder had a finishing time of 3:11.38 in their final relay event of the meet.
    “We had some really good performances, said MSU head coach Al Schmidt. “The one of the day was Jamil Hubbard beating the 400-meter indoor champion from Georgia (Justin Gaymon). That time put him up there in the top half in the country. The 4×200 men ran a time that is in the top three or four in the country. They did really well.”
    In the women’s field events, all three Mississippi State competitors placed in the top 10 in the javelin throw, with junior Marrissa Harris finishing in fifth with a throw of 112 feet and six inches. Finishing eighth was sophomore LaQuinta Aaron while junior Dorothy Youmans followed in ninth.
    Taking first place in the long jump was junior Priscilla Gaines with her leap of 19 feet, three inches. Junior Gabrielle Dillon took third in the 100-meter dash, running a season best of 11.85.
    The Lady Bulldogs began the Mississippi State relay attack on the field with the 4×100-meter relay team of Dillon, sophomore Wendy Copeland, Rose and Gaines, taking 1st place with a time of 47.90. The 4×200-meter foursome of Rose, Gaines, Dillon and Harris also finished in 1:36.13 to take 1st place. The 4×400-meter relay team of Aaron, Harris, freshman Diamond Marks and Gaines completed the Lady Bulldog relay sweep with a time of 3:49.47, earning them 1st place.
    “The 4×100 and 4×200 women won both of those relays and that was great,” Schmidt said. “Priscilla won the long jump. We had a good day. It was a dual meet between us and Georgia basically. I thought we dominated and did really well. It has been a great weekend. This is also setting us up for the SEC Championships.