Latest ‘Smash’ tweaks formula, delivers mighty punch

THE VERDICT:
    Nintendo’s latest entry of its hit fighting series can bruise the egos of its players, but not their fun or satisfaction. “Super Smash Bros. Brawl” is the kind of game kids during the ’90s would sit around and dream up, then subsequently shoot down because it was too awesome an idea and thus an unrealistic possibility.
    Of course, those kids were somewhat proven wrong nine years ago when Nintendo released the original “Super Smash Bros.” on Nintendo 64, a four-player, arena-style fighter that pitted famous Nintendo characters such as the iconic Mario, Link of the “Legend of Zelda” series, Samus of “Metroid” and Fox McCloud of “Star Fox” together for bizarre and addictive death matches, often accompanied by some of the most nerdy trash talk in the history of man.
    Nintendo and developer HAL Laboratory did it again in 2001 with the Gamecube’s “Melee” sequel, which improved every aspect of the first by leaps and bounds, including the addition of an impressive amount of new contenders to the original roster.
    “Brawl” goes one step further, hearing the calls of serious gamers everywhere with the inclusion of two particularly iconic figures in the videogame realm that originated from non-Nintendo companies: Sega’s Sonic the Hedgehog and Konami’s Solid Snake of the “Metal Gear” series. According to head designer Masahiro Sakurai, “Metal Gear” creator Hideo Kojima practically begged to have Snake added to the roster. Talk about a humbling moment.
    Of course, they are just two of the 15 new characters to join the line-up. Other notable additions include Pit of “Kid Icarus,” Meta Knight and King Dedede of the “Kirby” series, Ike of “Fire Emblem” and former NES peripheral “R.O.B.,” who will undeniably go down as the game’s black sheep.
    “Brawl” also improves upon “Melee” in terms of gameplay variety but ultimately removes some of its most exploitable characteristics for the sake of balance (damn you, fairness). While the fighters seem to have slowed down a little, the controls don’t feel much different. Most returning characters still have the same moves, but the effectiveness of some of them have diminished. Others have become more difficult to execute.
    New features like story mode “The Subspace Emissary,” sticker collections and the ability to take in-game photos are drab and forgettable, but other additions are creative and fresh. Take for example the Final Smash, a potential end-all move that renders a player invincible while opponents become dangerously vulnerable. Final Smashes are unlocked after brawlers chase down and break a shining, circular “Smash Bros.” symbol that floats around the stage at sporadic points in each round. The results are painful or hilarious, and sometimes both. To elaborate on them would ruin any surprises, though.
    Compounded with the Final Smash are a slew of new stages, a superb and extensive track list of new and remixed Nintendo tunes (possibly the most underrated feature) and the ability to build stages. Most importantly, Wii owners can take “Brawl” online to fight with friends from around the globe. While the feature is needed, its execution is painfully flawed. Random player bouts are limited to two-minute “KO fests” with no customizable options, but players who use friend codes to link up can fully customize matches. Unfortunately, Nintendo’s friend code system is a major headache in the convenience department as it is.
    However, it’s easy to look past the flaws of the online component, because everyone familiar with the series knows that “Smash” is best played in the company of friends.
    Wii owners have no excuse not to get “Brawl,” which stands among “Super Mario Galaxy,” “Zelda: Twilight Princess” and “WarioWare: Smooth Moves” as must-haves for the system.
    Those looking for an excuse to seek out the Wii, your reason has arrived.