Pitching struggles in midweek

Adverse weather conditions and pitching woes stood as obstacles for the Diamond Dawgs this week as they split a midweek series with the Arkansas-Little Rock Trojans.On Tuesday, Mississippi State attempted a rally with a four-run seventh inning, but an early Trojans lead was too much to overcome, leading to a 9-5 loss.
    Sophomore third baseman Connor Powers continued to lead the Bulldogs at the plate, blasting a three-run homer in the seventh inning and knocking in four Bulldog runs.
    Bulldog starter Forrest Moore, making his fourth appearance of the season, gave up seven earned runs in his four innings.
    MSU head coach Ron Polk said pitching will have to improve before the schedule gets tougher for the Bulldogs.
    “We have to pitch better. Our offense is young, and we just can’t come from behind as well as some veteran ballclubs can,” Polk said.
    Trojans starter David Klumpp threw six scoreless innings before being tagged for four runs in the seventh.
    On Wednesday, the Bulldogs pounded out 10 hits in a 6-3 victory over the Trojans. Senior outfielder Andy Rice led the Bulldogs’ offensive attack with two base hits. Rice and Goforth both knocked in two runs.
    The challenge only gets larger for the Bulldogs as they welcome No. 11 Baylor for the Cadence Bank Classic on Friday.
    After a pair of midweek games against Mississippi Valley State, the Diamond Dawgs will open up SEC play against the No. 2 Ole Miss Rebels the next weekend.
    Senior left-hander Justin Pigott said the team feels like they’ve got a bullseye on their backs after their trip to Omaha last season.
    “We’re going to get everyone’s best shot this season, and I don’t think a lot of the guys realize that,” Pigott said. “Everybody wants to beat the team that went to Omaha.”
    Powers echoed Pigott’s statement.
    “Before the games, you’ve got them sitting there watching the highlights from last year,” Powers said. “They’re just thinking, ‘Wow, we really want to beat those guys, and it’s going to be something if we do.’