Wolf Con entertains all science fiction fans

Science fiction fans are invited to attend Wolf Con this weekend in Columbus.

“Wolf Con is a science fiction/ fantasy convention,” Samantha Steeber, one of the event’s organizers, said. “We are one of several groups in the Southeast, but we are the only one in Northeast Mississippi.”

Wolf Con entertains visitors with its tournament gaming, an art show, a charity auction, shopping and panel discussions.

Contestants may participate in such science fiction/fantasy games as “Advanced Dungeons and Dragons,” “Battletech”and“Warhammer 40K.” A tournament for the game “Champions” is offered. “[‘Champions’] is based on the “Superfriends” television show from the early 80s,” Steeber said.

Perhaps the most anticipated tournament is the “Magic-The Gathering” match.”Magic-The Gathering’ is a very popular card game. It is even being sold at K&B drug stores,”Steeber said. “We have both sanctioned games of ‘Magic-The Gathering’ for the month of October.”

“[A game’s being sanctioned] means two things,” Steeber said. “One, Wizards of the Coast provides prizes. Two, Wizards of the Coast has set up a point system. Winners gather up their points, and those with enough points go to national competition.”

Wolf Con also offers its guests an art show.

“We have an art show not limited to science fiction, while that’s what most of it is,” Steeber said. “We have an incredible artist that you have to see to believe,” John White, event coordinator, said. “His name is Hugo Monterro; he is from New Orleans. He works in spray paint. When you see the finished work, you would never believe it was done with spray paint.”

At 7 p.m. Saturday night there will be a charity auction. “We donate all proceeds to the Mississippi Firefighters Memorial Burn Center,” Steeber said.

Wolf Con also hosts an art auction on Saturday at 4 p.m. Dealers from around the nation offer their wares for sale all weekend.

Steeber said, “[In the dealers’ room] we have dealers coming in from as far as New Jersey to sell jewelry, books, Japanimation and swords and knives that are made to look ancient.”

Panel discussions may help visitors learn something about the work of artists and writers. “We have panel discussions where our artists and writers do demonstrations of their techniques and do readings,”Steeber said.

Wolf Con is being held Oct. 68 at the Trotter Convention Center in Columbus. The festivities begin noon today and end Sunday.

Admission prices vary. For a membership card that allows a visitor to participate in all the events, the price is $25. This card allows the holder inside the hospitality room, as well as two dances. The dance on Friday night from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. features a combination of gothic, techno and industrial music. Saturday night’s dance includes “Top 40″ music from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

A membership card holds another advantage.

“If you have a membership to the convention, you can show your card at any movie theater in Columbus and get in for only $3. This even includes first-run movies,” Steeber said.

Today, visitors pay $10, which includes admission to the dance. The fee for Saturday is $15, which also includes the dance. Those attending only the dance pay $5.