There’s no uncle like Uncle Buck

Everyone has that “special”relative in their family. He is the one who cracks those crude jokes during Christmas dinner and terrorizes the cheeks of small children. Although the obnoxious kin is a burden to us all, it is a fact that we all must face. John Hughes’ latest film Uncle Buck, explores this domestic phenomena.

Hughes’ past films include Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. All of Hughes’ films are in the mainstream comedy genre, and Uncle Buck follows suit.

Reunited with writer/director John Hughes is former SCTV star John Candy. Their first film together was Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Who else, but John Candy could play the role of the large, loud uncle.

The story revolves around a typical suburban family in Illinois. After a family emergency, the two parents are forced to leave their kids with someone. As a last resort, they call the husband’s irresponsible brother, Uncle Buck, to care for the three children.

John Candy stars as Buck, an irresponsible gambler who quits his job working for his long time girlfriend (played by Amy Madigan) to stay with his brother’s kids. Candy does about as well with this role as he did with all of his past films; it seems as if he has played the same type character for the past three years.

Despite unfavorable reviews, Uncle Buck has held the number one position for the past two weeks at the box office. Although Hughes’ story is marginal at best, and the acting is mediocre, the Hughes/Candy combination has still proved to be a plus for audiences.

If you are looking for some light entertainment, with a few chuckles along the way, then Uncle Buck may be the movie for you.