ATTITUDES ON ADDERALL

Update: The editor’s note from The Reflector’s print edition did not originally make it online. We apologize for the confusion.
Editor’s note: Josh Edmonson’s name has been changed to protect the identity of the person involved. His name has been marked with an asterick in the article. 
Energy drinks and endless pots of coffee are taking a backseat to the “study pill,” Adderall, for an increasing number of college students.
Adderall is a drug prescribed to people who suffer from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.  When taken by someone who suffers from ADHD, the drug improves concentration and focus.
Melissa Dexter, a junior marketing major, has been prescribed to Adderall for the past year.
“I had a problem focusing,” Dexter said.  “When I sat down to study, I wouldn’t remember anything I had just read and my thoughts would be on other things.”
Although Adderall is a prescription drug, many students abuse the medication expecting to reap the same benefits as ADHD users. 
Amy Weathers, pharmacist at Super Sav-On Drugs, said most students do not realize they are actually getting the very opposite effect. “People with ADHD are prescribed Adderall because their bodies have paradoxical reaction, meaning their reaction to a drug is opposite from what is normal,” Weathers said.  “Adderall is just speed that hypes people up, so with ADHD users, it calms them down.”
Users claim the pill helps to increase focus, an essential skill for college students working to finish research papers, exams and projects on time.  With constant deadlines to meet, distraction is detrimental.
Josh Edmonson* said he buys Adderall from a friend to prepare better for upcoming tests.
“It gets you in the zone,” Edmonson said.  “I take it about three days in a row before a big test so I can stay up late and concentrate more.”
Most students who sell will only charge about a few dollars per pill. 
The cost is dependent upon the milligrams in the medicine.  Adderall of a higher milligram is priced higher because it has a longer duration of effectiveness.
“I usually pay $10 for four 20 mg pills, but you can also get twelve 10 mg (pills) for $20,” Edmonson said.
The price is low because Adderall is so readily available.  With many people having access to the drug, some are starting to wonder whether it is overprescribed.
Ally Knowles, junior marketing major, has been prescribed for the past six years. She said she believes doctors prescribe Adderall to too many people who do not have ADHD.
“There should be a stricter process of getting it because there are lots of people taking it who do not need it,” Knowles said.
Weathers said she agrees the drug is overprescribed.
“I see a lot of people prescribing it in conjunction with pain medication,” Weathers said.  “Pain is a downer and Adderall is an upper, so it’s messing their bodies up all the way around.”
The drug’s misuse is also having negative side effects for people who truly need the medication.
Jacob Collins, junior communication major, said because Adderall is being abused so much his doctor cannot prescribe it to him.
“It pisses me off,” said Collins.  “I have to take this other drug that doesn’t even work as well because there are so many people out there taking it who don’t need to.”
According to Lowndes County Justice Court Judge Chris Hemphill, illegal users and sellers could face steep consequences for the crime.
“For a first-time offender, possession of a scheduled narcotic without a prescription will likely result in probation,” Hemphill said.  “Selling a scheduled narcotic is a felony which can result in up to 20 years in jail.”
In addition to the legal risks, there are also health risks for non-prescribed users.
Weathers said she believes Adderall does have the potential to be dangerous.
“What people don’t think about is how it affects your heart,” Weathers said.  “Your heart is being overworked, and just like other muscles it grows and hardens; in 20 years, you’ll have diseases most people don’t get until they’re 60.”
There are even side effects for prescribed users.
“I got off it for a little bit and went through a kind of depression,” Knowles said. “When you’re taking something as strong as Adderall, your body becomes dependent and depression is another side effect.”
Still, Dexter says the benefits are worth the side effects.
“My experience on Adderall has overall been positive,” Dexter said.  “My thoughts and actions are so much more organized, and my GPA has significantly increased.”
Edmonson said the drug does help his grades but only indirectly.
“It doesn’t help you make better grades,” Edmonson said.  “It just gives you an extra boost to study harder.”
Even though some students have reported positive experiences on Adderall, pharmacists and law enforcement still caution students to take only the medication when prescribed to them.
Editor’s note: Read Joshua Bryant’s article at http://www.reflector-online.com/opinion/students-partake-in-adderall-market-1.2685355#.TxCLQBxv6NA for more on Adderall.